Home » Preserving Food

Squash Pickles

>27 March 2009

I had never heard of these until my Great Aunt gave some to me to try not too long ago. I don’t even like squash, but one taste of this kind and I was hooked! They tasted, to me, like Bread and Butter Pickles; crunchy and sweet. Yummy!! This recipe makes me want to grow my own yellow squash, just so that I can make my own Squash Pickles!

Squash Pickles

• 9 cups (about 4-5 whole) sliced yellow squash
  • 2 onions, sliced ( 1 cup)
  • 2 med. red peppers, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
  • 2 med. green peppers, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
  • 1/3 c. pickling salt
  • 3 1/2 cups cider vinegar
  • 3 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 tsp. celery seeds
  • 1 tsp. mustard seeds

In a 6-8 qt. pot combine all of the veggies with the salt, and add enough water to cover. (Note: it’s best to use a stainless steel, enamel, or nonstick pot.) Cover and let stand for 2 hours. Drain mixture well in a large colander. Rinse and drain again.

In the pot, combine the remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add drained squash mixture. Boil for 5-7 min. Fill hot jars up to 1/2 in. from top with the mixture and cover with hot lids. Screw on lid rings, and hot water bath for 10 minutes.

• LisaAlso said:

Sure does sound like Bread ‘n Butters (my favorite!) Just goes to show you that a good pickle recipe can make use of a variety of produce you might not usually consider!

• Lisa said:

Do you remember approximately how many jars this made? Thanks!

Lisa,

I’m thinking it makes 4 or 5 pints…

• Alea said:

I am looking forward to trying this recipe. Thanks for giving me the link.

• Emma said:

Made these pickles the other day and they were so good that I’m making them again in the next day or two. Took a jar to a church ladies’ meeting and they liked them and had to give out the recipe, too! This recipe makes 5 pints.

Definitely planting yellow squash next year!

• janice said:

I make the same pickles with zucchini, and everyone thinks there cucumbers. A great way to use a veg. that everyone has always got more than they want.

• Megan said:

I have squash coming out of my ears! This recipe will be great. I’m getting so tired of steamed, grilled or roasted squash. I must have harvested 20 or so HUGE gold rush squashs from my one plant so far this season. Thanks for the recipe!

• Emily said:

This recipe looks great! I generally don’t like yellow squash, but I could see myself growing them just to make these pickles. ;)

• Amy said:

I made these the other day, and they are delicious…so much so that I’m making another batch today. We have squash coming out our ears, so this was a great idea. It’s a great accent to fresh peas or butter beans. I’m sure it will be really good with our greens this fall, too. Thanks for sharing!

Amy, So happy to hear you tried them, and enjoyed them!!

• Rudi Pittman said:

Anyone tried making the squash pickles using leftover dill pickle juice? I’m not sure about adding sugar or not etc…but I have the juice from a big gallon jar and some extra squash……

Rudi,

I’d do it, and maybe add a little sugar. But I wouldn’t can it, I’d just allow it to sit in the brine in the fridge for a week or so.