Home » From Scratch Recipes, What's Cooking

The Best Spiced Pumpkin Bread

>6 January 2010

Pumpkin Bread recipe

Here’s my favorite recipe for making pumpkin bread. I always make it using my pureed fresh pumpkin. It freezes really well, too. Just wrap it in plastic wrap, and seal it in a freezer bag. When you’re ready to enjoy it, allow it to thaw overnight in the fridge or on the counter. Of course, nothing beats a slice of fresh from the oven bread!

Spiced Pumpkin Bread

• 3 cups sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 4 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 cups pumpkin puree
  • 3 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp ground clove
  • 1/2 tsp ground allspice

In a large bowl, combine the sugar, oil and eggs.

Add pumpkin puree and mix well.

In another bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients.

Add dry mixture to pumpkin mixture; stir together.

Pour into two large, greased and lightly floured, loaf pans. (Whatever size pans you use, remember to only fill them a little more than half way with batter, so they don’t spill over while cooking.)

Bake at 350* for 60-70 min. or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in pans for about 10 min. before dumping the bread out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.

*NOTE: Do not open the oven door to check on them before the time is up. This will cause the centers of the bread to cave in. Believe me. I know. Watch it through the oven door, and when you see the center of the bread stop rising and bubbling, it’s probably safe to check.

• Brook said:

I know it’s hard but God will see you through this day & tomorrow will be a better day! We have all had days like this…I remember looking at my life when my kids were younger, waiting for them to grow up so I didn’t have so much to do, especially when my dog was eating everything that wasn’t tied down!

Light a candle, take a deep breath, thank God for your blessings & enjoy your bubble bath!! Tomorrow is a fresh new day!

• Heatehr R said:

Kendra – you are correct – we can’t get enough of the bread. I made up a batch last night. My daughter and I love it. My silly, picky son doesn’t but he doesn’t count – he doesn’t like much! We had some for dessert last night and breakfast this morning. Thanks so much for sharing, this recipe is a keeper!!

Heather R-

So glad you tried it, and liked it!! Thanks for sharing :) I always wonder if anyone is even trying my recipes when I don’t get any responses!

• Heather R said:

I later made a batch up as muffins and took them to a 4-H function with my daughter. Several people tried them and later asked me for the recipe! That was a lot of fun.

• Kimberly said:

:) I was just defrosting the last batch of pumpkin puree today to make some bread. Guess I’ll try out your recipe in the morning.

• Shaye @ The Elliott Homestead said:

Hey Kendra! Ship some of this my way will ya? I’ve had a hanckerin’ for baked goods lately… :)

Shaye… no problemo!