Home » From Scratch Recipes

Homemade Italian Dressing

>2 March 2010

homemade italian dressing

This is the only Italian dressing recipe I’ve tried so far, so there may be a better one out there, but we have really enjoyed making this one in our home!

Italian Dressing

• 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp yellow mustard
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • 1/4 tsp dried minced garlic

Mix all ingredients in a glass container with a lid. Shake well. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before using for the best flavor. Shake well again before serving.

What about you? Got a favorite homemade dressing recipe you wanna share? I’d love to try your recipes!

• sandra said:

hey Kendra, this is not a dressing recipe, Ive tried some homemade ones that have been good, but heres a challenge to you ( or anyone else), have you ever tried a good homemade mayonaise recipe? Ive tried 2 different ones over the years that were awful! there must have been good homemade mayo sometime or other. does anyone have an idea?

sandra- funny that you should ask that! I was planning on experimenting with a couple of mayo recipes, and doing a taste test to give my thoughts really soon! keep an eye out for that one ;)

• sandra said:

Great, I’ll for sure be watching. whenever Ive made it it was too salty and looked like grease in a jar!

• Brook from VA said:

Is the mustard in the recipe a dry mustard or a liquid?

It’s liquid, prepared mustard. You can also use 1/4 tsp dry mustard if you want!

• Kalyn said:

How long can you keep this in the fridge?

• Amy @ Homestead Revival said:

Although I only buy “healthy” dressings, I am really trying to stop buying dressings all together. If I would just think ahead a bit more… anyway, you’ve encouraged me to do so!

Fruit usually is great just as it is, but occasionally I want to dress it up just a bit for company. Here’s a link to my Honey-Lime Dressing. Four ingredients that take it over the top.

Kalyn-

‘Til mold is growing :) Honestly, I’ve never had it last long enough to go bad!

• Tabatha said:

I’ll have to try this! I usually always have these ingredients on hand and although we don’t use dressings that much I do use Italian to marinate chicken! I would assume it could last for about a month but I could be VERY wrong! So don’t take my word for it! LOL

• Liz G said:

Question? Can you use olive oil instead of vegetable?

Liz-

You could use Canola, Peanut or Sunflower Oil… but I’m not sure if the Olive Oil would have too strong of a flavor. Really you need a light oil. I know Olive Oil is better for you, just not sure how it would taste. Let me know if you try it!

• Carmen said:

‘Til mold is growing!! Nice! ;)

• Misty said:

I’m so glad I found this recipe! my son has multiple food allergies, and every store-bought dressing has something in it that he cannot have. I’m looking forward to trying this out!

• MichelleC said:

I made this last night with light olive oil, and it came out super for the person that asked. Goya,(Spanish brand) makes a light olive oil which is pretty cheap. I also used Stevia extract instead of sugar. :o)

• Donna said:

Grapeseed oil also works well with this dressing. It’s a great alternative to olive oil as it is rich in Vitamin E and Omega 6. It has a neutral taste so it won’t change the flavor.

Donna,

Thanks for letting us know about the Grapeseed Oil. I’d been wondering about that specifically, but wasn’t ready to possibly waste the oil testing it out, lol. Thanks!