Home » Gardening

How To Transplant Blackberry Bushes

>6 May 2010

blackberry bushes 001 (Medium)

I was so excited the other day when the kids and I were walking to my dad’s house and we came upon a huge patch of wild blackberries in full bloom along the dam beside his lake. We’d looked all through the woods the other day, trying to find blackberries, without any luck. Looks like we’re gonna have plenty of berries to pick this summer after all!

I plan on transplanting a bunch of these bushes to my front yard. They are so beautiful when in full bloom, and having the berries a few steps from my front door will be a nice treat. I think I’ll wait until after we’ve harvested the berries from this patch before I move them, so as not to lose any fruit. I’ve been reading up on the best time and way to transplant blackberry bushes. Here’s what I’ve learned:

1. The best time to transplant blackberry (or raspberry) bushes is in Fall, after all of the berries have been picked.

2. Prune the vines down to about 5″ tall before uprooting them. This will make them easier for you to transplant, but will also cause less stress to the plant. If you leave the long canes, and don’t trim anything back, these older branches will begin trying to bloom and create fruit again in Spring. All of the plant’s energy will go toward growing the berries, and won’t be focused on the newly transplanted root system. If the plant isn’t able to establish strong, healthy roots, it could die as a result of focusing all nutrients on the longer fruit bearing canes.

3. Begin digging about a foot from the plant all the way around, so as not to disrupt the root system too much. Dig about a foot deep as well. You don’t want to pull the plants up, or yank on the roots, but gently lift them out of the ground.

4. Once the plant is up, wrap the roots with a plastic bag to keep them safe until you’ve given them their new home. Try to get them in the ground again ASAP.

5. When digging a new hole for your transplant, make sure to make it twice the size of the root ball. This will give the roots lots of room to be able to spread out and take hold. You don’t ever want to cram them into a hole. Trim the roots a little if you need to.

6. Before putting your blackberry (or raspberry) bush into its new hole, add a little bit of barn litter or compost to the bottom of the hole. Berry bushes love acid soil, and manure or compost really help! Our soil here is mostly clay, and they do fine. Blackberries usually do well in most soil types.

7. Soak the roots in a bucket of water for about an hour before planting. Don’t leave the roots in water too much longer than that though. Make sure not to over-water once it’s in the ground.

8. Place the plant in the hole, and fill it in with soil. Tamp it down lightly; then water.

9. New growth will appear about 4-6 weeks after the plant has been trimmed and replanted.

10. You can make more of your new transplant by “tipping” it. This term describes a process in which you use a long cane off of one plant to create a new plant beside it. To do this you would leave one of the canes long when pruning. Then once it’s transplanted, bend the long cane so that it touches the soil wherever you want the next plant to grow, and cover it with a couple of inches of soil. It is helpful if you leave the end tip sticking up out of the dirt so that you can see where the new plant is growing. The tip will begin growing its own new roots, and will be the start of a new blackberry bush.

You can trellis blackberries, or espalier them. I’m not sure how I’m going to train mine yet once they are in my yard. I just need to make them easily accessible for harvesting time.

Can’t wait till these bushes are full of yummy berries!!

• anita said:

Yum that sounds so good. I only have a few backberry bushes in my yard I would love to have more. Only enough for a handful. I know down the tracks from us there are more bushes so maybe I will dig them up this fall. What a great idea now I know how to do it.
    Thanks

• JasonH said:

When tip layering a plant, it may help to wound the stem at the bend. You don’t want to break it, but scrape off an outer layer of “skin”.

• Holly said:

Thanks so much for this post…I was telling my husband the other day that I wanted to transplant some wild blackberry bushes… I love wild ones the best…This is so helpful for me and yes I have a bunch in my wood so I can now move them closer…Thanks for the pic of the one in bloom…Very educational :) Love ya, Holly

• Ann said:

we ordered raspberry plants from Berlin seeds in Ohio this year. First time we have tried this. Also some strawberry plants. They sell a big blackberry called a dewberry. Very large berry. Bought some berries from someone once and they were great. research your seed/plant company on the internet, not all are good.
    I also have a screen for my squeezo for blackberries (to remove their seeds.) seedless Homemade jam from blackberries is absolutely the best thing ever! The jam with the seeds is really not very good.

Ann,

Yeah, I’ve had my eye on a gadget on Amazon I’m saving my Swagbucks for that will juice the berries, and catch all of the seeds for me. I’m so excited about making jam this year with all of our wild blackberries!!

• katlupe said:

Be careful where you plant these wild blackberry bushes! Believe me, they will take over if you let them. You might not want them too close to your front door. We have cut down so many blackberry bushes from our property and if you don’t keep working on it…………they just come back! And they hurt!

• cindy said:

Great information. We have several bushes on our farm and I would like to get them together in one spot. Your information is a huge help.

• Cher said:

Hi,
    I ordered one large fruite type blackberry bush from a catalog company last year. This year the blackberries were scrumptios and provided me with fruit daily for the entire month of August.
    The reason I decided to plant one was to try them as I have tried blueberries of the large fruit type too. Tried one plant that was so successful that I ordered another which is just as prolific. gives me blueberries for the months of July and August. the third bush was planted new to the other two and remains a tiny little twig size plant yieldign nothing.
    I thought mistakenly that the blackberry bush would be appx the size of teh blueberry bushes and they are on one side of one veggie garden. So I planted teh blackberry bush in a second veggie garden.. a mistake. LOL Its hue. I have a very tall friend come over and wind it round a straight up trellave every week and it is growing larger and taller ea day. I was looking for info whether we could have it replanted or not. Its so large I dont want to obscure teh sun fomr my garden plants so if you plant or more heed the warning of others and choose a location carefully. this monster is so large to replant it would be more than I can handle. Then I read here to prune it first and now I am looking forward not only to replanting it but to start a second plant and see how that goes. I just ordered some lawn furniture so site is going to be hard to pick pardon the pun. G IUlve got a huge lawn on teh other side of my house and may just trun part of it into a berry area, blueberries blackberries and maybe raspberries for us adn for the farmers market. Strwberries have never taken hold for me not even in teh special pot I purchased which said tall friend borke last year. LOL
    Thanks so ,much for the tip. I am in New England near Boston failry cleo sto the ocean, and apples, peaches even roses no longer fare well for me as teh hunmidity is too high. Thus I welcome these scrumptious berry bushes with relish, again pardon the pun. Cher

• GaryS said:

I grew up eating wild blackberries, raspberries, dew berries, huckleberries, paw-paws, persimmons, etc. When the little bramble cropped up near an old concrete slab and scratched my wife’s ankle, she ordered me to remove it pronto. But she was ecstatic when I told her it was wild blackberry. Three years later it is HUGE. But has never bloomed, never flowered, never produced a single berry. But I’m guessing it started from a seed in a bird’s dropping and simply hasn’t matured enough. So be aware – wild berries are fickle. They don’t always produce every year. It’s actually been lame for several years here in the Ozarks. And once they do produced be prepared to share with the wild. Birds and insects love them. And also (where I live) the summer months are very hot and often very dry – so give them water if you want better berries. Otherwise they can dry up quickly. They will start off with a white bloom, the fruit will then be green turning to red then to black. Berries that aren’t black are very tart (inedible in my opinion, though surely not poisonous). Oh, and raspberries can be red, just not blackberries. Duh?

• kathleen graham said:

Your article was very helpful, my brother has wild blackberrys at his house in western NY.they grow throughout his wooded property, i was hoping there was a way to ” gather up the goodies” we will try to move some this fall.

• Leah said:

Thanks for this article! Just saw some blackberry bushes in a wooded area where I walk and definitely want some to bring back home. Really excited for fall to get here so I can get them! Thanks for all the tips :)

• Tracy Sardad said:

Hi! Loving your website! We recently purchased a house with a small back yard that has blackberrie’s planted in a hideous make-shift planter of boards pieced together…we enjoyed the handfulls of berrie’s this summer as we cleaned and fixed up the landscaping but, we need to replant them and obviously preserve them and encourage their growth over the years…and your article is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!!

• wayne said:

We live here in the Ozarks on 62 acres of woods. We cleared 1 acre for our garden. In that area there was a patch of wild blackberries and about 100′ away was a patch of wild black raspberries. Some of the blackberries had curled up leaves. I read that these two berries can not be grown close to each other. Upon inspection, sure enough there was some black raspberries in amongst the blackberries. I dug the raspberries out and moved them to the raspberry patch. The deformity in blackberries cleared up. We trellised both patches and do them just like tame berries. Each patch is approximately 20′ x 20′. Black berries yield around 30 gallons and raspberries around 20 gallons each year. Last year we started working with a 50′x50′ patch of gooseberries. This year we went from 50 to 75 gallons of gooseberries. Our goal is for 100 gallons next year. Three years ago we set out 100 strawberry plants. By controlling the runners, we now have approximately 1,000 plants and no they are not in out garden any longer. We cleared a plot for them. On the average, 3 strawberries laying side by side covers my hand. SWEET,JUICYand RED throughout!!!
    By the way, we live on ” Berry Road “.

• david said:

So it has been 3 years since this post, did you have success with your transplants? What else did you learn through the process?

David,

Since writing this post I’ve found TONS of blackberries growing all around our yard. So I didn’t have to transplant any after all. I have transplanted raspberries, though, and they’re pretty much exactly the same thing. I have found that you really do need to keep them watered until the initial shock of the transplant wears off. Other than that there’s not much to it.

• Rebecca said:

I just asked my dad this very same question. I want to transplant some wild dewberries into a bed, since they are very scattered around my property.

He says that it’s doable, but that you have to be very careful because dewberry and blackberry bushes and vines attract rattlesnakes. The snakes are after the birds that like to eat the berries too.

My dad is 73 yrs young and a farmer all his life, so he’s pretty savvy about this type of thing. Just a FYI.

• Kimmy said:

Hi! We are moving soon. Where we are going, the land is literally sand and gravel. So, we are going to build raised square foot gardens.

I will terribly miss my wild blackberries I have so much of here. Is it possible to transplant them, lets say February-March? Will they still produce in late summer? I’m in Mississippi by the way. :)

Hi Kimmy,

I would totally try to transplant them. You might as well! Spring is a great time to transplant. If it were me, I’d probably cut them down quite a bit maybe to 12-18 in. tall (?) so that they don’t produce the first year, but instead their energy will go toward establishing a good root system.