Home » From Scratch Recipes, What's Cooking

Onion Soup Mix Recipe

>24 May 2010

Here’s a mixture that I love to use in place of Lipton’s Onion Soup Mix. This amount makes about 5 Tbsp, which is equal to one package.

• 3 1/4 Tbsp minced onion
  • 4 1/4 tsp (no MSG) beef bouillon powder
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1/8 tsp crushed celery seed; celery salt; or I rub celery flakes to make a finer powder and use that.
  • 1/8 tsp sugar

I especially love using it on Crockpot Roast Beef! What do you like to use Onion Soup Mix on?

• sandra said:

would this be fresh minced onions or dehydrated onions?

sandra,

dehydrated :)

• calina said:

Where do you get the beef boullion powder? And that does not contain MSG?

Have you checked Whole Foods? It’s out there, you just have to check your own local stores.

• amy said:

@Calina – Bouillon powder is usually found on the soup aisle of the grocery store. It took me awhile to figure that out… I had been looking by the spices! :)

• Michelle said:

You just made my day! I’m so excited to find this recipe. And then to see all the others listed in the related posts. Awesomeness!!!

• Ilka said:

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this!! I have a meat loaf recipe that requires oninon soup mix, and I have used it only reluctantly because the mixes I’ve seen contain partially hydrogenated oils (which I try to avoid). I had not found any mix recipes to use instead, so I’m really happy to have this! :-)

• Shannon said:

I’m wondering if you ever used this with sour cream for dip (a staple for any of our get togethers)?

Shannon,

Nope. Never tried it like that. It might be good though. If you decide to try it, let me know how it turns out!