Home » Homemade Cleaners

The Real Trick To Removing Stubborn Toilet Stains: And It’s All Natural Too!

>18 May 2010

A dear friend of mine who owns her own house cleaning business shared with me her secret to removing even the most stubborn toilet bowl stains. After trying this for myself, I can tell you firsthand that what you thought would be impossible to clean can truly look as good as new again.

And the best part of this cleaning strategy is that it is all natural. No harsh chemicals, no toxins, not even the slightest odor to worry about!

What’s the secret??

A Pumice Stone.

Just a regular old pumice, the kind that you would use on your feet. They are pretty cheap, and can be found at most stores where the hand/feet care stuff is.

I was half skeptical when I first gave this a try. I mean, we had some major hard water stains in the toilet. You know, the build up and the yellow streaks down the inside of the bowl. Not pretty. No matter what I did or how hard I scrubbed, THOSE stains were staying put. I had simply given up on ever having a completely white potty again.

But after hearing about this trick I had to give it a try. Obviously, it is best if you wear rubber gloves, since you will be scrubbing the inside of the bowl. It will take some elbow grease, but the pumice stone will definitely do the job.

Of course, if you want to make it a bit easier on yourself you should spray the toilet bowl with your favorite cleaner first. I used Seventh Generation Bathroom Cleaner, but my friend swears by Bar Keeper’s Friend, which is also all natural and can be found at Family Dollar stores, among other places.

So, now you know the secret of the professionals! A simple little pumice.

• Melissa said:

This is a great tip! I was just looking at the hard-water stains in our toilet and trying to figure out how in the world I could remove them.

• Jennifer said:

I will have to try this, as I too, have horrible hard water stains in my toilets.

• Meagan said:

I love pumice for cleaning. Just be careful. I once tried it on a tub and almost ruined the tub because it scratched up all the finishing. This isn’t an issue for toilets, but I thought I’d let you know about that.

• The Prudent Homemaker said:

Walmart sells Bar Keeper’s Friend. It’s awesome; it takes out rust stains on your tub, too.

• Shannon said:

I heard about using natural pumice stone to clean porcelean (ie the tub too) from the tv show ‘How clean is your house’ lol. If you look them up they have so many natural effective and cheap ways to get almost every stain, like using denture tablets to clean lace curtains and many very useful tips ;)

• Teri H said:

Thank you so much for posting this! We moved into an older farmhouse about 6 months ago and both the toilets have the same yellow streaks in the bowl… I got a pumice stone this week and wow, it works so well! They look “pretty” again… (as pretty as a toilet bowl can look!)!

• Mandie said:

Can it make my 60′s style blue toilet and tub white again?

• Sandra said:

Drywall sandpaper is also a wonderful way to remove hard water stains. I buy small sheets and cut them into 2″ squares. They bend, so they are easier to use on rounded surfaces than the pumace stones.

• Jackie Hansen said:

I don’t have a website. But I am glad I found your website. It 4:30 in the morning and I am still up and reading every word that I can keep my eyes open for. I am 73 years old and have 10 children and 4 step children. I really don’t like the term step children. They are all my children.
    I am going to try the pumice stone for my toilet. My husband had one but it only scratched the toilet. I can relate to the life of having children. We also have many grandchildren and great grandchildren. Thank you for your website and I will be returning often. Jackie