Home » From Scratch Recipes, What's Cooking

Delicious Dinner Rolls

>26 August 2010

homemade dinner rolls

I am so addicted to making these rolls. My mother-in-law so generously shared the recipe with me, and boy have we been devouring these puppies! They are super easy to make, especially if you have a bread machine.

NaNa’s Dinner Rolls

*Makes 12 rolls (never mind the missing one in the picture, I just couldn’t resist!)

• 3 cups bread flour
  • 1/3 cup dry milk
  • 2 tsp yeast
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3 Tbsp sugar
  • 3 Tbsp oil
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 1 cup warm water (not hot)
  • *butter for tops of rolls

Mix all ingredients together well; I put them in my bread machine and set it to “dough” to mix and knead, this setting allows the dough to rise for about an hour. When the dough is finished rising, knead a little more then pull off 12 equally sized pieces to place in each section of a greased muffin pan. You can also just plop these pieces onto a greased cookie sheet.

*TIP: Flour your hands well before you knead and pull the dough. If it starts sticking to your fingers, don’t wash them, just rub more flour onto your hands. Otherwise, it will be all too much like pulling taffy… a mess!!

Allow the dough to rise for 30 more minutes. Preheat oven to 400*. When ready, bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the tops are browned. Immediately after removing them from the oven, rub the top of each roll with butter to make them soft and even more delicious.

*You can also use this bread recipe for cinnamon rolls or a soup bowl!

• Stephanie said:

Yum!!! Writing this one down:) Thanks for sharing!

• Katie said:

can’t wait to try these!! I may make these tonight with our dinner! Thank you for sharing!

• Pam W. said:

I will definitely try these! I’m always looking for new recipes that make use of the bread machine.

• Nancy M. said:

They look delicious! I will have to try them!

• Katie said:

Do you think I could freeze these? We have company coming over this weekend but I don’t want to be making them while they are here. Wonder if I could freeze the dough or just the baked rolls… Any idea?

Ooh, I don’t know Katie. I’ve never tried! If I were you I’d just make them a day ahead, allow them to completely cool, and store them in a ziploc bag or an empty (store bought) bread bag if you have one.

• Robin said:

All I can say is THANKS! These turned out great! Then I took your advice and made cinnamon rolls and they were BETTER than the blue can from the grocery stores (and much less expensive). Thanks again!!!

• Emily said:

love these!!! new family favorite!!

• SweetTMakes3 said:

I love that there is one missing from your picture. That says it all about the deliciousness!

• Gail stoll said:

I don’t have a bread maker. Can I follow this recipe “as is” or do I need to make some changes?

Gail, I’ve never tried making it without a bread machine, but if you do, I’d definitely say let it rise twice before baking ;)