Off Grid

The struggles and freedom of life without electricity.

Gardening

How-to’s for beginners, and lots of good tips on raising food to sustain your family.

Eating Off The Land

Straight from the garden, wild game, and foraging recipes.

Preparedness

Food storage, emergency preparedness, survival skills, and more.

Essential Oils & Herbs

Herbal recipes, essential oils, and old-fashioned remedies for supporting your family's health naturally.

Home » Preserving Food, What's Cooking

How Many Peaches Are In A Bushel?

Submitted by on August 10, 2010 – 6:24 pm 19 Comments

peaches (Medium)

We bought a bushel of peaches tonight from a man who lives up the road from us. Actually, half a bushel is for us, the other half was for my Mother-In-Law. They are beautiful peaches too, just picked yesterday! And boy, let me tell you, the flavor is outstanding.

I plan on canning them this week. My kids eat a ton of canned peaches, it’ll be nice having some that were locally grown. I wish I could have gotten more, but our budget only allowed for what we got. The man was selling them for $22 per half bushel. I wasn’t sure if that was a good deal at first or not, it sounded pretty high to me. Really, I didn’t know how many peaches came to a bushel, so when we got home we counted them out. The man was generous with what he gave us. There were 116 med-large peaches. I looked it up, and an average bushel of peaches weighs 50 lbs. I think ours was closer to 60 lbs. So, I think we got a pretty good deal; still cheaper (and better!) than the grocery stores.

But on top of that, he also let us pick all of the raspberries we could find from his raspberry bushes, and he sent us home with two watermelons from his garden. He apologized that I wasn’t able to get more raspberries, as somebody just came yesterday and cleaned him out. But he welcomed me to come back again soon as more berries will be coming in. (I think he was so generous to us ’cause I brought him some cookies, *grin*.) I will definitely be taking him up on his offer! I was able to scrounge up about four cups of berries, so we’ll be enjoying them tomorrow. I think the kids probably ate a couple of cups worth of berries right off of the bushes too!

This will be my first attempt at canning peaches. I’ll be sure to post a recipe and “how to” when I’ve got them all finished up. I’m wondering if I can save the pits and grow my own peach trees from them. Any ideas?

Here are some peach measurements for you, for future reference:

• One bushel = about 50 pounds of peaches
  • One pound of peaches = 3 medium or 2 large peaches
  • One pound = about 4 cups sliced peaches
  • About 10 peaches will make a 9 inch pie.
  • One bushel = about 12 quarts of canned peaches (from what I’ve read)
  • A peck is a quarter of a bushel

So, what is your favorite way to enjoy fresh peaches?? My husband votes for homemade peach ice cream!

Tags: ,

• Kathy says:

Btw, one can make peach jelly using the cleaned skins. Boil then run thru strainer before adding pectin. Great use of skins & makes great jelly. You can boil the skins in advance, saving the prepared juice for canni g at later date. If sometime away, will have to freeze. The same applies for plums.

Kathy

• Kathy says:

Reading your article today. Interested to find current cost of 22 lbs of peaches. Locally, the Tx peach crop has been affected by weather. Not a good year. Per you article, 22 lbs would be almost a half bushel. Local Kiwanis Club wants $40. Calling our fav peach farm in Stonewall, the Flaming Prince variety availability is unknown at this time. Typically, this variety is ready in July-Aug. I can every year and frz for future use. This is our absolute fav! So, do you have any idea what is a good price, currentlt, with these conditions?

KATHY

• Kathy,

I wish I knew what to tell you, but it really does depend upon your area and the crops. I don’t even know what they’re going for in our area, to tell you the truth. But I think most farmers try to price their produce close to what others are selling it at, to be competitive, so you may not find much of a price difference from one to another. Thanks for the peach skin jelly suggestion! Sounds yummy!

• Deonne says:

FYI about your peach pits. I learned from my mom to boil the pits and use the juice from that to make peach pit jelly. It is really good and I love knowing that I am using almost everything.

• Julie says:

We bought peaches this year from an Amish neighbor who had them brought up from Georgia for $26 a full bushel. I don’t know about growing the tree from the seeds but you can make jelly (not approved or endorsed by the county extension offices).
    Julie

• Stephanie Fults says:

Thankfully, I am a long time friend of Mrs. Holly Crawford that got the $8/half bushels so now I am in peaches, too!! :) Thanks again, Holly.

My husband worked at a nursery years ago budding different trees and he tells me you can grow your peach seed into a tree. However to get the peaches you want you have to cut it off about 2 inches above the ground (when it’s about as big around as a pencil, probably about 2 ft tall.) Then you cut a little T in top of that and get a bud off the kind of peach tree you want and stick that bud into the T cut and wrap a rubber band around it. It should start growing in about 2 weeks. Then he said something about keeping the suckers cut off, I think the suckers would be from the original tree and you’d only want to grow the bud…
    Hope that helps :)

• Mae says:

I always can peach pie filling and use the peelings for jelly. Peach Pie filling is pretty easy but you really need to use ClearJel instead of regular cornstarch and it’s hard to come by, unless you have an Amish store nearby. They usually sell it pretty cheap. ClearJel doesn’t turn cloudy and and is more suited to canning than regular cornstarch. It makes beautiful pie filling and it is to die for YUMMY!

• Holly C says:

This is great website that use quite often….This is a link to the peach butter that I made and it was great!!!!! Let me know if you decide to use and if you like it…

• sandra says:

someone we know was selling different kinds of produce this summer, and he had some peaches that he said were about too ripe, he gave me a big box full, and they were great! I only threw away , maybe three or four. Ive never heard of peach butter, but it sounds like it would be yummy! uh…Kendra? peach butter recipe? sure sounds good!

• You got a huge amount of peaches there! I’m going to get some peaches from our local roadside stand today too. Last time he gave me close to a bushel free of “bad” peaches that had bad spots on them. I called a friend over and we quickly peeled, cut and froze them. That was only a short month ago and they’re already gone :(

Peaches are the true glory of this season. Your post was very inspiring. I can’t wait to see your canning post :)

• Holly Crawford says:

Well I have been blessed by some great friends that can…They went to an auction and bought a bulk amount for $8 a half bushel…But everywhere else I checked around here was selling for $24 a half bushel…so you probably got a good deal…but it would be great if you could hit one of those auctions with several of your friends and get a better deal…I will be praying that you get more peaches at a better deal the next time…Also I diced a bunch of my peaches in smaller jars (half pint or pint jars) so my boys can have a healthy snack thru out the year…they are like kids in a candy store when I pull a jar out of the cabinet, all jumping around excited to see who gets the first bite :) this makes it worth while to see them so happy to eat something I have prepared for them :) I also made peach butter this year and it is great…I am planning on making some peach jelly ( I have never heard to make it out of the peeling-thanks to Cathy for a great idea ) anyways…happy canning your peaches, and don’t eat too many like I have while I was cutting them up *wink* ;)

• barbara gantt says:

Peach jelly is wonderful. You make it with the peelings simialr to apple jelly. Babs

• Danielle E. says:

While you can get a tree from peach seeds they will not be like the ones at the orchard. Those are grafted. The trees from seed will be much larger and it takes a long time for them to bloom and have fruit (+10 years) and the fruit may not/probably be anything like the orginal.

• Lanna says:

That’s actually not a bad price. Lowest I found was 5 counties away at $9/26lb box. Luckily hubby can swing by there when he’s able to come home from work and fill up the car, but still. (he came home with 13 boxes for me and friends if that gives you any indication what I’m up to this week… ;) )

• Kara says:

I really don’t have anything to add… but I thought it was amusing that the google ad on the right side of my screen is showing a picture of peach ice cream. ;)

• Chantel says:

Thanks for the info. I don’t know much about peaches but wanted to let you know that I found the post interesting.

• janet says:

I have done some research online on growing peaches from the pits and it is possible. You have to clean them well, let them dry, then carefully crack the outer shell to reveal the small seed inside. This can then be planted like any seed, but in the fall. It has to have a cold winter to grow. The sites suggested mulching over where you plant them and seedlings should pop up in the spring. They also said that within 2-3 years they should produce peaches (I am suspicious of that though). I have collected my seeds of the peaches I liked this season and am planning on doing it this fall. There are quite a few good website/blogs about this online. Yours looks yummy! :)

• Cathy Ethier says:

We went and picked peaches last year and really enjoyed them. My goats ate my trees this year, so we only had a few peaches..the ones they couldn’t reach…:)
    I made peach butter in my slow cooker and made peach jelly from the peelings. Great way to make use of the WHOLE peach.
    I am not sure about the pits….You wouldn’t be out anything by trying…

Leave a comment!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.