Off Grid

The struggles and freedom of life without electricity.

Gardening

How-to’s for beginners, and lots of good tips on raising food to sustain your family.

Eating Off The Land

Straight from the garden, wild game, and foraging recipes.

Preparedness

Food storage, emergency preparedness, survival skills, and more.

Essential Oils & Herbs

Herbal recipes, essential oils, and old-fashioned remedies for supporting your family's health naturally.

Home » The Homestead Life

How To Earn Extra Income From Home (or From Your Land)

Submitted by on August 23, 2010 – 7:37 pm 46 Comments

Jerry and I have racked our brains trying to come up with some way to make money off of our land. If we could just work it, and earn enough to survive here without an outside job, oh, what a blessing that would be! But what can we do here? We don’t have room for fields to plant crops in. We don’t have a pasture to raise cows on, or a barn to board horses in. What we have is an acre of woody land, and a house smack in the middle of it.

Though there isn’t anything “big” that we can do here, we have come up with lots of little things that could help us earn extra money from home. Of course, everything takes start up costs, some more than others, so we can’t do everything we want to all at once. But here are some things we have in mind:

1. Breed & Sell Rabbits- We already have a bunch of rabbit cages we got for free off of Craigslist, which came with dozens of water bottles and feeders. And we have a nice grassy area we could fence in for them to graze on. As we all know, rabbits multiply like crazy, so we would easily have lots to sell. We could raise and sell them for pets, for meat, and for fur.
  2. Raise Turkeys to sell- Turkeys are one of those animals that don’t take a lot to feed, and grow very quickly. I think there would be a good market for naturally raised Turkey meat.
  3. Breed & Sell Goats- For meat, and for milking. We could also sell goat’s milk, and make soap and cheese from it to sell as well.
  4. Breed & Sell Dogs- Still not sure if we wanna do this yet. But, if we could get a good male and female pair, and raise good farm dogs for local farmers, we could make a little extra money that way. Just a thought.
  5. Sell plants- Growing plants (veggies or flowers) from seeds would be the cheapest to start doing, and could be marked up significantly. I could easily get a pack of 50 seeds for a dollar or two, and sell the plants that come from each seed for $1 a piece or so.
  6. Sell produce- If I ever manage to grow enough food in our garden that we actually have any extra, we could obviously sell it.
  7. Sell farm fresh eggs- We’ll have to increase our flock size, but whenever we get enough hens we can start selling the extra eggs.
  8. Sell chickens- For meat, or laying hens; as our flock multiplies.
  9. Sell fertilized eggs, or incubate eggs for others.
  10. Teach canning, bread baking, soap making courses from home.
  11. Sell fresh medicinal or culinary herbs or plants.
  12. Sell wild blackberry bushes- we’d just have to dig them up and pot them.
  13. Make soaps to sell- The materials would be the biggest expense.
  14. Sell honey and candles- I’d love to have bee hives one day. But that’s probably a while in the future.
  15. Sell freshly baked breads and other baked goods. We’d have to get our name out there though to build a good customer base.
  16. Jerry could make wooden toys to sell- Though this would be very time consuming.
  17. Sell paintings and crafts- I’m pretty handy with a paintbrush and love to make crafts, but again, it is so time consuming, and who has TIME?

Well, that’s all I got. Whatcha think? Can you think of anything else we could do to make a little money from our land? How do you bring in extra cash from home?

Tags: , ,

• Laura Hughes says:

I moved my bakeshop from downtown to my house about seven years ago. It meant I could save paying employees, rent, utilities, etc. In Iowa, where we live, I can bake for farmers market without a license, but I chose to get a home license, which allowed me to bake for re-sale in commercial venues. Still couldn’t make a profit, even though I grossed $20,000 per year in sales. Perhaps our small-town market is just too cheap (I could double my prices had I gone 50 miles away), but this was where I had built my reputation, and I didn’t want to leave. I finally gave up this year, after 12 years of trying.

• Sarah says:

Kendra,

In my town, there are educational classes offered through the local school district. The nieghboring town also has these classes. Anyone in the community with ideas for classes are welcome to offer to teach things. Classes such as making your own laundry detergent and home preserving/canning usually sell out and can be $20/person or higher for a day or two day-long workshop. Other popular classes include small space cooking (such as in an RV, for the retired folks), outdoor cooking/make a solar oven, local plant identification and usage, and other topics that are pertinent to the local economic state. People are always looking for ways to save money and you can be the gal to help them do that! :)

Sarah

• Deborah says:

I love your website! If you crochet I know some nurses who supplement their incomes by crocheting baby blankets. One of my friends got carpal tunnel doing this, but she was sort of a human-crochet-machine. Still my friends seem to enjoy earning extra money that way. Or maybe you might try quilting. The time and materials you put in vs the money you get out of it might not make quilting a big moneymaker, but if you enjoy sewing maybe you could multitask sewing while you watch your children play or spend time with your family in the evenings. And now that I think about it I know someone else who does alterations and makes/sells curtains out of her home. I don’t know how profitable that is, but I expect the overhead would be less since the customer would purchase the supplies. And if you crochet, sew, or quilt that’s another topic for classes.

• sherri says:

Since you’re a good writer and seem to have a good sense of graphics and such, why not hang out your single to help the other farm based people in the area. Do websites or set up blogs, perhaps do their business cards, labeling, etc for products and all that. Not EVERYONE in the country has to make soap or sell eggs… do those things because you love to, but find a nitch of service to the others doing that and you’ll do fine.

I know we do, we have several internet companies, mail order and then I do graphic arts. We’re not on a farm, yet, but working towards it. We urban homestead in an old mobile home and do all the things you can do on a farm homestead, just without too much livestock yet! haha….

Sherri

• Genevieve says:

Another thing you can do if you have enough money is to grow pumpkins (very easy) and sell fall goodies like apple sauce, pumpkin muffins, candied apples,
    or christmas trees – this takes about 7 years until they are the size people like to have them for Christmas. You could sell your baked goods, hot apple cider, etc.

• Genevieve says:

Hi Kendra,
    My husband and I are both teachers and we have debt (student loans and a mortgage) that we have been working hard to pay off. We have mostly focused on reducing our own cost, by growing as much of our own produce as possible, making homemade baked goods, making our own laundry soap, dishwasher soap, cleaning products and shampoos etc. You really do save a lot when you make your own, especially when you have 3 hungry boys to feed. Last spring we started to rent out our small RV. We had it rented out so much that we only went out ourselves once but it really helped and we plan on doing the same thing next year. When we can we will buy a second pop up trailer to rent as well.
    One thing I was going to suggest is that you clear someof your land to use as storage rental space- for people looking to store their trailers, boats, etc.
    Blessings,
    Genevieve

• Gardenatrix says:

I have to second / third / fourth all the ideas on teaching classes.

• Miranda says:

I just wanted to share that in my rural community I’ve been asked to teach a class on how to make lip gloss, lotion bars, and body scrubs from natural ingredients that can be purchased locally. I am NOT selling the final product only teaching others how to do it so they can give homemade Christmas items. It’s not a big money maker, but every little bit helps.

I’ve also seen some interest in learning to bake from scratch. Many of our young moms at church have no clue how to do this.

• Nikki says:

I meant to write books not book.Sorry about that.

• Nikki says:

I like the selling homeschool book idea!~Nikki

• Lacey S. says:

OOPS! I guess I should have read all the comments, I just saw Janice’s comment! ;)

• Lacey S. says:

I think the teaching courses from your home is a great idea, I know lots of women young and old that don’t know how to can, bake bread, sew, etc… They would love to have someone offer a class. You could offer a classes like, homemade jam/ jelly. Also like an apple pie filling class.

Also, your very good at writing, I often read your blog and think to myself…this girl should write a book!!! Especially about your time with Addy! Even a book about your first year homesteading, you know your reader’s would most likely buy it, you could easily charge at least $15 dollars for a nice hardback book. I have found websites that help with the publishing like http://www.winpresspublishing.com

The book idea would take a little time, but I really do believe it would be successful for you. Just my thoughts! ;)

• Janice says:

I think you need to write a book!!!!!

• Sarah B says:

Since it sounds like you have a lot of woods you could try growing ginseng. It brings a lot of money.

• Laura says:

I haven’t tried this, but I think you’re on the right track with the honey/produce/bread selling route. I live just outside a fairly large city with multiple farmer’s markets, and one thing I’ve noticed they have in common is a lack of variety. It seems like every booth just sells the same few varieties of produce at a time, and then next week they’re all selling something else, but still the same thing. I think if you installed a greenhouse and were able to grow produce ahead of or behind the season, it would definitely give you an advantage, since you could have something different. The honey and bread would also help a bit. I don’t know if that’s true in your area or not, but I’ve definitely noticed a big hole in our farmer’s markets. I would try going to your local market, or one in a larger town near you, and scout out what there might be a demand for. Anyway, keep us posted! All of these comments are so interesting!

• Amy says:

I feel bad because it seems like you are getting so much negative feedback but from what I have read most of it is true. In the last year I have been making a significant effort to try to start making money from our land. I have been successful in alot of it and have plans for more. I will explain what I have done but I also want to tell you about my friends BIG jump into trying to make a full time living for their family of five.

My adventures have been along side my fulltime employed husband. We have been living off of his income for over 7 years now. So we did not take any risks in the area of finances. I also picked stuff with very little start up costs. We are very tight on our budget I am not willing to loose money.

My friend on the other hand. Her husband quit his full time job and they just decided they wanted to do it. They didn’t really have a set out plan. Just some ideas about what they wanted to do. They tried the egg thing. They bought 140 laying chickens. So far after a year they are still loosing money on that endeavor. They tried the meat chickens and after they got into they started thinking about the fact that if they didn’t sell all the chickens before hand they did not have the freezer space to store them. So they had to go out and buy freezers. They do have meat rabbits but there is not a good market for them. They also “jumped” into doing the produce thing. They spent hundreds on seeds. Alot of time hand planting everything (since they did not have farm equipment). All so that the weeds could take over and they could not keep up with it. She got to the point where she would give away produce just for some help weeding. So they tried ALOT of it and I can honestly say they have failed in a big way. They burnt through a rather large savings and now are trying to find employment. Which I am sure every knows isn’t the best time to find a good paying job.I am not saying that none of these things couldn’t have turned a profit for them but they went about it so terribly and failed in a big way. It has been hard to see them go through this but they just made some very poor choices and very bad business decisions.

So on to how I have made SOME money from my farm. Two words FARMERS MARKET if you have a good one local or even within an hour driving distance these are GOLDMINES. I sold baked goods and they sold like crazy. I always sold out and you can turn a decent profit if you do it well. Just remember you will spend one entire day, at least, to do the baking then another day to spend at the market. So you need to take into account what your time is worth. You could also do many of the things you mentioned through a farmers market. Produce, plants, canned goods, eggs, soaps BUT you NEED to check all your local laws first. Because laws are different everywhere and sometimes you need permits that will cost $20 and other times the requirements are baking only in a commercial kitchen, or it is not legal to sell chickens unless you sell them live. But look into it before you start any endeavour. You may find it is easier than you thought or that it is not even worth the effort. You can also get some other publicity through the market. I had fliers I handed out with information about other things I offer. Like classes, pony rides for parties and farm camps.

And that brings me to the other things that brought in money. Farm camp: I had 8 children for a week from 8-11:30. We did projects around the farm, milked the goat, made cheese, rode horses, gardened, pulled weeds, picked berries, made a pie, cleaned stalls. The kids LOVED it!! Even the stall cleaning and all the work I had them do. Each kid paid $40 for the week but that was low and you could easily charge more.

Then there is the pony rides and petting zoo for parties and the farmers market. I took my pony to the market and had him hang out in a pen next to my booth and people could pet and feed him. Then for an hour at the end I gave pony rides for $1. Again that is very low you could easily charge more. I use my miniature horse Blaze for this. Then I also do birthday parties. I don’t have a ton of customers right now but I have done a couple parties and they pay well, about $100 an hour. Sounds like alot but you do have to feed these animals (though I already was feeding them so that was not an extra cost for me since they are our pets) you need a trailer and insurance and unless you have a endless customer base you will only book here and there especially at the begining. The petting zoo you actually have to have a permit for. You have to go through some extensive process and pay about $40. It is regulated by the USDA. Equine are not so the pony rides don’t have that issue.

The last thing that I am doing this year to make my farm profitable is start a Pumpkin Patch. No we are not pumpkin farmers but there is a local produce auction that we can get them for cheap. We plan to open each Satuday in October. We will offer pony rides, petting zoo, games a craft, a corn maze and there will be pumpkins and baked goods(pumpkin pies, carmel apples) for sale. We do a have a very good location for this. We live on a highway, so we get lots of traffic but I have seen these types of things do well over time in not so convenient locations. This endeavor though I cannot say is or will be profitable. We will have to see how it goes this year.

My tips for starting something like this.

Never put in more than you have to loose.
    Never go into debt over it.
    Start while still bringing in your regular income.

MAKE A business plan. In eveything I have done I have carefully weighed: Cost, profit, customer base and marketability(is that a word :). I had baked goods figured to the point that I knew how much it cost me to add a cup of flour or a tsp of salt or yeast to a recipe. You cannot have any kind of business if you don’t keep up with the book keeping end of it.

Read, go to the library and look up books on making small farms profitable. Joel Salatin is a good place to start.

And remember you will probably have to work harder at making a business of your own from your land than you would if you went out and got a job somewhere. You will ask yourself often “what in the world was I thinking” but in the end I believe all the hard work will pay off IF you do it right!

Sorry for the book but I thought this information would be helpful :)

• daisy says:

I wanted to mention another option. I know you homeschool. So do we. There are opportunities for self-employment promoting products that homeschoolers use such at Usborne books, curriculum and hands-on materials. I see vendors at conferences who are homeschooling moms and work in their spare time. HTH daisy

• daisy says:

Kendra, how ’bout a worm farm? You could raise worms for folks who compost or fish. It doesn’t take a lot of upfront cost and I’ll bet your kids would love to help you with it! Most kids love squishy worms!
    Another idea is to make compost for sale or trade. If you got the appropriate food materials from nearby restaurants or grocery stores (what they are throwing out) and maybe free brown scraps from a local tree cutting service (or a nursery), you could make compost for free and then use it to sell or barter.
    Best wishes, whatever you decide!
    daisy

• JoyceP says:

Hi, Kendra: It’s so nice to see young people wanting to get back to the land! With 30 years of what would now be called Urban Homesteading and now with living on my family’s Century Farm, I hope you don’t mind me giving you a few observations based on my life experience. With “one wooded acre and a house in the middle of it” I would limit my animal husbandry. Rabbits in cages would work and I suggest that earthworms underneath the rabbit cages to compost the rabbit manure complement the enterprise. Unless you put in a good high fence around your acre, forget about goats and turkeys. With no pasture, they would also require some sort of shelter and you would need to bring in additional feed. Forget dog breeding. Period. Selling produce is possible with intensive gardening, but it may require some expense to set up. Selling herb and veggie seedlings from a backyard nursery is a good possibility, and in many places you can sell up to a certain dollar amount without needing to get a license from the state — you’d have to check it out. Baking from home in most places requires a certified kitchen — lots of paperwork there. Eggs are easy to sell if you sell from your homestead. You could sustainably raise a small number of meat birds (chickens)on your wooded one acre. Our chickens have the run of our woods and are very happy. If you want to raise bees you will need equipment and nectar sources nearby — and no bears in the area. If you are in a good accessible location, teaching is a possibility — consider offering online classes. Crafts are good sellers so long as they offer something unique like historical value to your locale or usefulness. With the economy as it is, usefulness is a plus. With crafts, quality is imperative. As for time? Anything worth doing is worth the time it takes to complete. If you manage your woods right, you can potentially harvest one cord of firewood per year from it. I would also look at growing mushrooms on a small scale.

• Katie says:

Since you have some woods you could thin out your woods for new growth and sell it for firewood.And around the holidays you could season it, to sell.

I clean houses for people and make $50 for 3 hours of cleaning. It helps with the income. We have a farmers market around here and once our vegetables get going and I get producing more, my husband, Tom wants me to try and go there and sell my vegetables and backed goods. Sad thing is each spot at the market is $20.00 and what if I don’t sell anything? I am losing money then. But I guess I have to try and see huh?

Good luck on your adventures and can’t wait to hear more! :)

• Sarah B says:

Rabbits – We sell about seven every two months. The heat does dramactily affect breeding. On average they produce 8 in the winter and two in the summer. It costs us about $3.40 to raise each rabbit to butchering age.

We know a family who sells goats milk, soap, cheese and fudge and they do a lot of marketing and farmers market. They roughly make $350 a week and they been doing this for 10 years.

Here in SC you can’t sell baked bread without having a certified Kitchen. I don’t know all the details it might be pretty easy.

We know a guy who grows lots of tomatos and he sold 800lbs in two hours at the farmers market for $3.00 a pound (they were organic).

Before you sell produce I think you should try producing enough for your whole family for a year. It’s tough.

We sell blueberries, but that only covers two months of the year and it’s still not enough for two months of income. I should mentioned that we are totally debt free so we don’t need much money. We’ve tried various things, I think with a lot of time that maybe we could eventually make enough to live. I even sell grocery items once a month that I get from couponing, but the deals are not always reliable.

• Wow, I really appreciate everybody’s advice; particularly that from those of you who have “been there done that” and know what works and what doesn’t. So, I guess a lot of my ideas probably aren’t such a good idea. And okay, okay, we won’t breed dogs ;) There are still a few viable options to consider though. This is a great discussion for anybody else who is seeking to make money from living off the land as well. Thanks guys!

• Julie Ashley says:

Breed & Sell Rabbits- maybe a good idea, especially if you are not squeamish about slaughtering and using the meat to supplement your own supply. They create great garden fertilizer, too.

Breed & Sell Goats- My mom once checked on “boarding” a goat because she couldn’t buy milk/cheese from the farmer but she could take her “own” milk and cheese that the farmer collected for her.

Breed & Sell Dogs- PLEASE don’t do this. There are thousands of animals put to death in our city that are unwanted, neglected, abused; I don’t want to even think about the totals nationwide.

Blessings on all your endeavors! -julie (mom ofTEN, wife of one)

• Nikki says:

We have never been good at doing at home business.We have tried the dairy goats,and the rabbits.Neither was good at bringing us in money but we lost some.Someday I am thinking that selling blueberries would be fun?I doubt we will ever totally be able to live off of our land as it seems to cost alot just to live.:)We raise our own chickens for eggs,steers for meat,pigs for meat and goats for milk.We do not sell these things but at least it is cheaper than buying fresh meat somewhere else as we know what they have been raised on.~Nikki

• Sharon says:

Great ideas.:) My dh and I have been talking about me doing sewing. Not sure how it will pane out but working on learning more on sewing. Thanks for the ideas.:)
    Sharon:)

• Lanna says:

5. Please don’t forget the cost of soil (if you don’t sell bare-root tomatoes, heh) and containers. Even used pots need a solid cleaning, and folks seem to respond better to ‘regular’ pots than paper cups from Costco.

7. Start saving/finding egg cartons asap.

8. Do more pre-planning than you think is possible. I’ve heard it takes a fair amount of trial and error, even for this family I know near the Ozarks that’s been raising their own chickens for meat for years (and just now selling broilers to folks that pre-ordered). Some folks just can’t scrounge up the $20+/chicken though, myself included. :(

12. Rock on! In a similar vein, what about other edibles in your area? Could do walking tours and such as folks are more and more interested.

Another random one – a few friends of mine do fairly well for themselves doing house cleaning. $10-$25/hour, depending on the work and the locality. Someone may need to stay home with the kids while the other goes out, but still. Google up Don Aslett. :)

I’m hoping to eventually have enough land to start up a u-pick farm of something easy to deal with like asparagus or cane berries or something – things that aren’t too common in the area and require little maintenance on my part. :D Those kinds of things are popping up more and more nowadays.

• Rachel R. says:

As far as crafts go … check out the Etsy stores. See what is available to buy – can you create something different? I know many who have a Facebook store presence for their Etsy store – my Aunt has one called “This One’s Mine” – a store for little girl clothing. And my Kendra created just a FB store she calls “Giraffe Crafts by Kendra”. She hopes to fill it with knitted and crocheted items this fall.

Crafts and sewing can be a real big seller. Maybe you and Jerry could combine your talents – make specialty blocks / building sets. I’ve seen some high priced ones that were quite unique. BUT you can also loose a lot of time and money making things and then nothing sells.

• Rachel R. says:

Rabbits don’t sell well as pets … a fact my Vannan is finding out. She wanted to raise meat rabbits. Then brought home smaller “pet” sized. She loves them. It has been such a trial for her – as they were not ready for breeding in time for Easter bunnies. The summer heat killed a whole batch of them. All people want them for is to feed their snakes – and they don’t want to pay $15 each for them.

My sister’s sister in law raises chickens. It’s hard work. She sells the eggs for about $2 a dozen and turns a small profit – about $50 a month in a good month, maybe breaking even in a slow winter month.

Goats … you’ve dabbled some in that. You would want very good breed of goat. Some of the CHEC families (homeschool group) do sell their goat milk – but most have 2 – 3 children helping with the milking and care of the goats. Again, you won’t make a fortune with it. And come winter, you’ll be feeding pregnant goats and getting little or no milk. Our milk runs between $5 and $8 a gallon. Selling off the baby boy goats can be a challenge. We ended up selling them for around $20 each to mexicans.

Dogs – depends on the breed. My sister sold Blue Heelers for a while. As her dogs got too old to breed healthy pups, she’s stopped. The market was open for the Heelers when she brought her first dogs, after 10 years, she really struggled to sell them, and her dogs were beginnin g to have some very expensive medical problems.

• Stephanie says:

I know how you’re feeling. I quit work when my oldest was born, he’s three now. My husband got fired when our youngest was born, 18 months ago. We have tried several things and made a little but nothing seems to take off very fast. My husband had worked for a water utility so he’s gotten several small jobs putting in a water line here or a cattle waterer there, repairs, etc. Of course, that stuff isn’t at home but it is working for yourself. If your hubby does handyman work many people will hire out even simple stuff because they just don’t want to do it. Or if you enjoy cleaning while he stays home with the kiddos that could be an option. My inlaws make a few hundred bucks selling veggies in the summer, but they’re old with nothing else to do but tend the garden. I have to say I am 100% against breeding dogs. Things may be different where you’re at, but the stray rate it way too outrageous. Both my dogs are dogs I aquired because someone else couldn’t/wouldn’t take care of them. Also, a lady down the street has a nonprofit set up that rescues dogs and she has over 200…she’s a no kill. The gal across the street has 1/2 doz or more that have all been dropped on her….
    If you had a greenhouse that could supply tomatoes, peppers, squash, etc through the winter.$..Mother Earth News magazine has had several plans for building them out of basically “junk you may already have”.
    Selling stuff on ebay could work…
    I’ve checked very shallowly into medical transcription, if I could get an idea of the market for that…I don’t know enough to know, but typing what a doc says for 15-20 cents per line could make some moola if you find one that needs your service??.
    We are going to breed our first 2 Nubian does this fall and my dream would be to take that business into a career in a few years, dairy license and all. At least that’s my dream :)

• sylvia says:

yes, i suggest really researching these ideas first and i won’t repeat what others have said above. some ideas are already plentiful, some often don’t pan out. i think your ideas about canning might be the best of them all and require the smallest amount of start up money. also, considering your experience so far with dogs, goat, pig and chickens, i would think twice before breeding any living thing until you know you have plenty of experience and understanding. breeding dogs is extremely time consuming. selling raw goat milk is illegal in most states unless you are permitted. remember, these are living things you’re considering using as a venture – please make sure you have the experience and can provide them what they need.

• Janet says:

Kendra, you have some lovely ideas, however, they all employ a lot of great effort and perhaps expense. As one person noted, start out slow and see where it goes. You have young children and it is so hard to do things when they are small. Is it so bad to work for a company or the government? I know you all are homesteaders, but you may have to face some realities here. We are not in the 1860’s and you don’t have to struggle so hard. I am all for home made goods and farm fresh, but the people I know that grow their own and have a farm business have one of them working to have insurance and a stable backup. I know it has been tough for your family and you seem very creative, but I am not sure these are jobs that will pay the bills and ensure security for all. Dreams can be realities, but with caution and do your homework. There are so many complications with many of your ideas. I am sure if you follow your passion you will be successful. I saw your video on canning which was good, perhaps there is a future there? How about an online business? I sell on ebay and I do quite well. You may want to consider that. Janet

• MichelleC says:

1.We tried the rabbit breeding, and ended up with about 24 rabbits and no buyers! :o( We ended up giving them all away to a man up in Virginia a few months ago.

2.Goats, yes, as long as they are pure bred. Of course, this past year we had buyers all lined up, but then the goats went into fetal distress due to the GP dogs..and they all miscarried. :o( We were not expecting the unexpected. It was very sad.
    As far as selling the milk, soaps etc..There seems to be so many people doing that already. People have very loyal customers. Especialy here. Not that, that is bad, I am just saying. At the moment, Buffalo Creek does all these things and more so. They have a huge clientel. They also travel to all the farmers markets etc.

3.Selling chickens-Yes, there is a market!!

4.Eggs-We were supplying Carvel ice cream with their eggs last year.:o) 2 dollars a dozen.

5.Homemade baked goods and breads, this is something I have been wanting to try, except I would need a permit. *more signature stuff*
    With the Holidays coming up, I bet pies would sell like crazy!

6.Blackberry bushes?
    Hmmm, I would love to hear what others have to say about this. We have loads, and I have tried to replant them many, many times and they always die.

7.Breeding dogs-There is a huge, and I mean huge, demand for toy dogs around here. I know several people who have 3 pairs of toy dogs, and every few months they give birth to 8 pups that sell for $400 each. It is a constant flow of cash coming in. You need a Good air conditioned kennel. I hear they are easy to build! For some reason, it is easier to sell toy dogs, then farm dogs. People will even come down from NYC!

• Leslie says:

Kendra I don’t know if you life anywhere near a lake where they do a lot of fishing, but you could raise worms to sale. we have a creek on our property and have talked about if we had to we could sale river rock to landscapers. I’m a stay at home mommy and i’m always trying to find ways to make extra money. You could go to mom and pop gas stations and see about bringing home baked goods to sale. We have a little gas station in our town that sales fried pies, Sausage biscuits, and even sausage balls made by a lady in the community. The one draw back is to be up very early and have it to the station to catch the breakfast rush. I’ve even had yard sales from my coupon stockpile overflow.

• Stacey says:

Be cautious with the selling of medicinal herbs, or at least in the way you market it. In some states selling herbs/plants with known medicinal properties and marketing the plants that way without a medical license is illegal. My cousin in KY learned this the hard way…thankfully she got off with only a fine!

• Pat-SSS says:

Your husband can builds and install wind powered generators, Diy Solar panels and install them etc….

• Angie says:

Those are good ideas but the been there and done that with livestock advice I need to pass on is – be prepared to keep and raise everything you breed. Sometimes they go like hotcakes. Other times you end up feeding more animals through winter than you ever intended. Also – rabbit breeding is not as easy they make it out to be. That is a huge kettle of fish to fry. Go slow. Don’t invest more than you can afford to lose. The profit off of livestock is a farce. You’ll be lucky to break even.

Leave a comment!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.