Home » Preserving Food, What's Cooking

Home Canned Sweet Pickle Relish

>3 September 2010

sweet pickle relish

Sweet Pickle Relish

*Makes 4 pints (though next time I’m gonna do half-pints)

• 6-7 large unpeeled cucumbers (about 4 cups), diced
  • 2 medium green bell peppers (about 1 1/2 cups), diced
  • 2 heads celery (about 3 cups), diced
  • 1/4 cup salt
  • 3 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 cups white vinegar
  • 1 tsp celery seed
  • 1 tsp mustard seed

Finely chop the veggies in a food processor for a couple of seconds, being careful not to grind them into a puree. Pour the veggies into a large bowl and add salt; cover with water and let stand for about 5 hours.

Drain well, pressing the mixture to remove all liquid.

Combine the remaining ingredients in a large saucepan, and bring to a boil. Continue stirring until all of the sugar has dissolved. Add the vegetable mixture to the saucepan, and simmer for 10 minutes.

Pack into hot, sterilized jars leaving 1/2 inch head space. Process for 10 minutes in a water bath canner.

I love mixing some chicken or tuna with some mayo and homemade sweet pickle relish for a quick sandwich or cracker spread! Yummy!!

• Laura said:

Oh, this looks so good and easy. I can’t wait to try it – thanks for posting it!

Blessings~
    Laura

• Annie-Michele said:

Thank you for sharing. I have a Garden relish made with cabbage (Amish Grandmother recipe) that I make that you would love; if you want it please e-mail me. Happy Labor Day long weekend : )

• Kate said:

Thanks for this! I get tired of using cucumbers in pickling and it’s nice to find a new thing to do with the cukes!

-Kate

• MommaMia said:

WOW! Your canning looks fabulous. I hope I can learn to do it too!

MommaMia,

If I can learn it… ANYBODY can learn to can!!

• diane (the wandering chicken and mini-farm) said:

thanks!!! i plan to make zucchini AND pickle relish!!! i use it to make ham salad n chicken salad!!! pickle relish, mayo n meat.. and a touch of sugar if its not quite sweet enuf (=

• margo said:

I have used this same recipe for the bread and butter and they come out limp and soggy the only thing i have been doing different is using table salt,if i use the pickle salt will that make them crispy

Margo,

Definitely make sure you’re using small pickling cucumbers instead of larger slicing cucumbers. The salt will make a difference in your end product as well. Table salt is never recommended. Your pickles won’t be crunchy like store-bought pickles unless you add stuff to make them that way. Some people recommend adding alum to pickles for crunch, but I would never want to add an aluminum product to my food. Yuck.