Home » Preserving Food, What's Cooking

Mouthwatering Recipe For Canning Pear Preserves & Pear Glaze

>7 September 2010

recipes for canning pear preserves

Mmmm. Wow. *Lips smacking, eyes rolling back in head*. Oh my goodness. I can’t pull myself away from these things!

Just one more bite…

Okay. Wow. These pear preserves are like warm bits of sweet heaven melting in my mouth.

Somebody pry this jar away from me… please!

Okay, I’m good. No really, I can do this.

Angie, girl, I could kiss your feet for sharing this recipe with me!

I’ve never really considered myself a pear loving kinda girl. But when my mother-in-law gave me free range of her loaded pear tree, I didn’t waste the opportunity to gather as many as I could. Up until today, I hadn’t canned pears yet, and I’d never tasted pear preserves… *drool*… so I was anxious to try my hand at it.

Angie, at Home Grown, was so sweet to point me towards a post she wrote a while back with a recipe for canning pear preserves. Actually, she also tells exactly how to use every single part of the pear (peels and core included) to make a delicious pear glaze for meats, and pear jelly as well. Check it out.

Mouthwatering Pear Preserveshome canned pear preserves

• Pears (still green; preferably Kieffers)
  • Sugar- lots of it!

As for quantities, it doesn’t matter how many pears you have for this recipe, just add 2 cups of sugar for every 2 quarts of pears (approx. 14 small/med. pears). Though in my opinion, if you don’t have at least 6 quarts of pears, it’s probably not worth the trouble to can them, you won’t get more than three pints of preserves.

*I processed 6 quarts of pears and ended up with 3 pints of preserves, and 3 pints of the glaze. How much glaze you get depends on the thickness you allow the syrup to be reduced to.

First thing you do, as always, is wash the fruit.

Peel the pears using a potato peeler, then cut them in half and use a melon scooper or knife to remove the stem, the tough middle and the seeds.

Cut off any bad places (bruises, etc). Then slice the pears pretty thinly.

I used a 2 quart canning jar to measure my pear slices. Every time I filled it up, I emptied its contents into a large stainless steel pot and added 2 cups of sugar.

When all of the pears are prepared and the sugar added, put a lid over the pot and let them sit until the next day, about 12 hours. The sugar will melt, and the pears will be floating in the juices.

Heat the pot over a low setting, and allow the pears to cook in the covered pot until they are extremely tender, and almost translucent. Be prepared to let them simmer for a few hours, stirring occasionally.

When the pears are done, remove them from the liquid and set them in a bowl for later. Continue cooking the syrup over medium heat, until it thickens a bit (reduced by about half of what it was). Return the pears to the syrup mixture and bring them to a gentle boil.

Using a slotted spoon, fill hot, clean jars with the pears making sure to pack them tight. Next, pour the syrup over the pears leaving 1/2 in. head space. Use a butter knife or something to slide down the insides of the jars to help release any air bubbles that may be trapped.

Add a clean, sterilized lid secured with a ring, and process pints and quarts for 25 minutes in a water bath canner.

When all of my jars were filled, and in the canner, I noticed some bits of pears left in the large pot I’d simmered them in. Curious as to what they would taste like, I used a spoon to collect a piece to sample.

Big mistake.

Oh, heaven!!!

I desperately began scraped the remaining bits of candied pear from the pot, and melted in pure ecstasy with every bite.

I tried my best to allow them to cool once they were out of the canner, but it wasn’t long before I’d popped a lid off and was delving in. Mmmmm…..

You guys, this is the one. If you get your hands on any pears, forget any other canning recipes you may have in mind. Nothing can compare.

• Angie said:

I warned you all that they were unlike anything you have ever eaten. They become an addiction and you will wait each year for those green hard pears to appear on those old trees.

• Jenn said:

Are you pregnant or something? LOL! That’s how I act over Taco Bell when I’m expecting! I am definately going to try this recipe. My grandma’s neighbor has a pear tree and rather than waste all that fruit might as well get it canned. I love to see all this food on our shelves. Reminds me of my great grandma who canned ALL their food for 13 children. And I mean everything, nothing was ever wasted. At the time, they were the main tomato supplier for Hunt’s. My grandpa said by the time summer was over he couldn’t stand to even look at tomatoes! Oh what simpler times! Thanks for the great blog you are very inspiring.

Jenn, LOL!! Not that I know of :)

• Nikki said:

Hi Kendra,
    We were anxious to try the pear recipe.They sounded so good.So we started them last night…we did not have quite as many pears as I had hoped as we were using pears from my Grandmas tree next door.My oldest son had gone out to get them for me earlier in the day.Anyway,we went out to pick more at 8:00p.m and quickly changed our minds.You should have heard the coyotes howling.It sent shivers through me.We decided to just use what we had.:)We ended up with 2 pints and 1 half pint of sauce(it broke).:(Anyway….we tasted ours from our dish as well and you are so right.Thanks for sharing.You give really good instructions.:)What we have tasted is so yummy.I might see what I can get off our pear tree although our tree is not nearly as nice as Grandmas so we will see.Sorry I seem to ramble on and on.~Nikki

Nikki,

I’m so proud of you for trying!! At least you got something, right? You tried a new recipe, and got a couple of jars, so that’s wonderful. I hope you are able to get more pears. I don’t blame you for not getting them in the night… coyotes… no thanks!

• Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage said:

I am absolutely going to try this!

I have three pear trees. I’m already running out of ideas for using them.

Thanks so much for sharing. I wish I could give you some pears!

Laura
    Happy at Home

• Kim said:

Hi! I just wanted to let you know that I have given you the Versatile Blogging Award on my blog. A Versatile Blogger brings everything to the table: good writing, good stories, a little bit of this and a little bit of that. I hope you will accept my award by visiting my blog and “picking it up.” Then you can pass it on to your favorite bloggers, too. It’s a great way to find and share new blogs. Have a great day! Here is the link: http://kimmama.com/2010/09/17/seven-things-about-me/

• Michelle said:

So, are the pears hard when you make this or do you have to wait until they ripen and get soft?

Michelle,

The pears are hard. Don’t wait until they are soft, it will just end up too mushy.

• Hope said:

I also canned Kieffer pears from a random tree in a home that my sister was renting. After removing the skin, cutting them in half, and taking out the core…I put them in a pot of white grape juice with no sugar and cooked them till almost tender. Then packed them in hot jars and water bathed them. They are so tender and sweet!! And only made with natural sugars. We served them over pancakes and cornbread with the syrup in the jar. Kids think they are eating dessert!

• Steph said:

ok.. i am trying this today.. they are simmering as we speak! I am excited.. I don’t ever can but with all these pears.. i had to do something~ lol So is the mixture really sweet while simmering?? I used my food processor to slice the pears really thin.. they looked like little pear chips. I thought the next time i slice them, i will bake them just like that.. they tasted good!Anyway.. we will see how my pears turn out today… I am REALLY hoping that they turn out as well as Kendra’s! ! I have to say that the pears that we spent all night peeling and coring and slicing… that almost filled a 5 gallon bucket.. today was about half the bucket and now almost a full stock pot full of liquid and pears…. Ok enough typing… time to stir the pears~ Thanks for the recipe…

Steph, Let me know how they turn out!!! What kind of pears are you using?

• Steph said:

um.. good question! lol The tree was here when we moved in.. They are green turning a little goldish/red…? lol
    They were/ARE delish! I made this reciped and then we canned them and froze some, and then ate some hot with vanilla bean ice cream that night after the canning! My girls said there was NO way that I could cook those all day, with them smelling SO wonderful, and they weren’t going to eat some that night~ they even stayed up late to try them! lol
    Thank you sooo much! I am sure they will make excellent gifts!
    We are getting the rest of the pears out of the tree this weekend. We already gave the neighbors some to can(with a promise to receive some of them), and so I think I may try the Pear Honey recipe I saw…

Thanks again! Yummmmm !

Steph,

LOL, I’m so glad they turned out good for you. Whoever you give these to as gifts better know they must be pretty special to get something this delicious!! :)

• My homeschooling, homesteading life - More canning said:

[...]  We’re talking the yummiest things this side of heaven.  I got the recipe from here: who got it from here: http://bigredcouch.com/journal/?p=3716.  The pictures on those sites show [...]

• Denise @ Creative Kitchen said:

I have a bowl of pears sitting in my fridge. I’m so glad I found your pear preserve recipe…this sounds like a winner! Can’t wait to try it…thanks for sharing ;)

• Diana said:

OMG! I just made some syrup from these pears…………
    It really is divine, really difficult to describe the flavor—-rich and sweet.
    I will now try to peel, slice and can them from the above recipe. Hope I can manage, as I am not the “canning” type.
    Thanks for the great tips!

Diana,

You can do it!!! :)

• joseph said:

We have a couple pear trees and they make the best pears Bartlett I think. Anyway I took a couple hundred pounds to my office and left enough on the tree for me. This is my forth time putting up pears so I found your recipe and figured it was worth a shot. Picked a 5 gallon bucket today peeled tham and got them soaking in the post right now. Will post bak after I have them canned.

On a side note I was coreing them as said but found a much simpler way to get the core out. I cut them 1/2 then quater them long ways. This makes getting the core out so simple with less waste. Also makes cutting them up easier to.

Thanks for the post.
    Joseoh

• Connie B said:

What a cute story! Years ago my mom brought me a case of pear preserves she had prepared. She mentioned to me she had accidently over cooked the preserves. A week went by before I opened a jar of the preserves, like you said “pure ecstasy”. I told her anytime she over cooked a batch send them my way! She is gone now but your story brought a smile to my face and wonderful thoughts of my mom. Thanks you!

• Kelly said:

Hi Kendra I just made your pear preserves for a friend of mine who doesn’t can, the jars are pinging as we speak lolol !! I couldn’t keep my spoon out of the pan while they were simmering !! Then after they were in the thickened syrup I saved myself a few they are DIVINE !! thank you for sharing !!! it was so easy even I could do it !!! so will share with my friend she will have NO problem making thses herself !!! thank you again kelly :)

Yay, Kelly!! I’m happy to hear that :) Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me!

• nicole Maynard said:

So I just put pears and sugar in the pot right? No water ?

Right Nichole, no water :)

• Rhonda said:

We have 2 pear trees in our yard, have lived here for 8 years, and have never done anything with the pears except give them away. I am trying my hand at gardening as well as canning this year, so I thought “hmmmm….what can I do with these pears?”
    I came upon your site, found this recipe, and am now simmering the syrup as I type this. I used my crock pot to cook the pairs in the juice, then poured the juice over into a sauce pan for the final thickening process. It smells delish! I can’t wait to try the finished product!
    Thanks again for taking the time to do this blog! It is so important for us as a country to get back to working our own land and becoming more self-sufficient! :)

I hope you enjoy them, Rhonda!! Yes, definitely put those pears to use :)

• carolyn smart said:

On your pear preserves, do you not use sure jell?

I make them just as the recipe states ;)

• Blake Courtney said:

First time canning… I must have done something wrong. I didn’t get preserves, I got pear jolly ranchers LOL seriously, the syrup is hard as a rock. Did I cook them too hot, too long, or reduce the syrup too much? I have more pears so I’ll give it another go but any suggestions?

Oh no, Blake, lol!! Sounds like you definitely cooked the syrup too long :( Be careful not to caramelize it, or it will definitely be rock hard when it cools, lol. Sorry to hear you had trouble!!!

• Dawn said:

can this be made sugar free? with splenda or something…..or does it have to be made with sugar?

Dawn,

I’ve never tried using anything but sugar.

• Lynn said:

I really like this recipe for the pear preserves and plan on making some this week. I would also like to make the pear glaze but I can’t find the recipe for it. Could you send me the recipe?
    Thanks!
    Lynn

Lynn,

Here’s an excerpt from Angie’s post on how to make the pear glaze:

There will be plenty of syrup left in the pot once the pears are spooned out. Ladle it into hot jars and process it along with the jars of preserves. This syrup will make the most amazing glaze for duck, goose and pork when slow roasted. Add some hot chilies and garlic and brush it over the meat in the last 15 minutes of roasting.

Hope that helps!

• Karen said:

I have tried this recipe for the first time.Havent been much on canning but my family is always posting what they are canning.So I felt like I should give it a try.Well this recipe is so good.My son an I might not be able to put any in our jars.My Husband and Daughter may not ever know what a pear taste like.lol
    Thank You for putting this recipe up.The catchy name caught my eye
    Thanks again Karen J

• Jennifer said:

TY for the recipes! tried this one yesterday and it is absolutely fabulous. Now i gotta find a few more pear trees- may have to go out ninja style in the middle of the night bwahhaha. Good year for pears around here-all the trees are loaded but being kinda shy i am embarassed to go asking ppl to “pick their pears”
    Also i too ended up with alot(1.5qts) extra syrup, thinking of diluting it to use for jars of pear chunks scheduled for todays canning, or adding them to the jelly mix also scheduled for today. As a mom it makes me feel good to be providing some quality food for my family!

So glad you all are enjoying these pears! I just LOVE ‘em :)

• Lana said:

I made the first batch perfectly. then, I overcooked the second batch and it is too stiff. Can you reconstitute the preserves with some pear or apple juice to thin it?

Lana, I’m sure they still taste good, as long as they weren’t burnt. Definitely try watering them down slightly with some juice or something :)

• Ginger ollier said:

Hi Kendra
    this is the way my MOM made pear preseres but I wasn’t sure so I went on a search and found you.Thank you for reminding me my memory is still good.
    Ginger

• Joe said:

We have done a version of this for years, but were always frustrated with all the extra syrup left over, AND the extreme amounts of sugar required in other versions. We want to try yours now since it seems like less sugar per pear amount. Please tell us the times and pressures for doing your process in a pressure canner with quart and pint jars, and half pints if you know it. We always pressure can since it is so much faster and safer due to the higher temps obtained, not to mention cheaper on the electricity used and less steam pumped into our hot house! Thanks for your information

• Lyn said:

I made the recipe as shown and I have some jars with the little circle in the middle where you can see and a couple where you can see the circle but it is not as defined as the others. I am worried that those did not seal correctly. After about 45 minutes I unscrewed the rims and wiped down the flat seal and them put the rims back on… Now i am afraid i have “damaged” all of the jars…. please advise

• Marsha said:

Quick question:

The recipe states”When all of the pears are prepared and the sugar added, put a lid over the pot and let them sit until the next day, about 12 hours”

Do you let the pot sit out on the counter top or do you refrigerate?
    I just don’t want to ruin my yummy pears.

Thanks!

Hi Lyn,

If I understand you correctly, you’re afraid the lids aren’t sealing properly? It’s okay that you unscrewed the rings and then put them back on, so don’t worry about that :) The jars need to cool completely before they will seal completely. Don’t test the seals until they have sat for 24 hours, after which you can unscrew the rings and try to pry the metal lid up with your fingers. If it doesn’t come off, your jars have sealed. If it does come off, then you can either put that jar in the fridge to be eaten soon, or (if you really want to save it for later) you can re-can the pears by heating them back up and starting with a new, hot clean jar and doing the process all over again. I hope that helps!!

Marsha,

Good question :) I’d put them in the fridge, just to be safe. Hope they turn out yummy for you!

• Lyn said:

I tried my pears today after checking for lid tightness. They all were tight. They are the right consistency and taste good but way to sweet for me. The pears were really sweet before cooking them. How can I adjust the recipe to remedy this?

Lyn,

You’ll just have to play around with how much sugar you add, to suit your own taste. :)

• Edie said:

Hi,

Will try this recipe – just wanted to confirm the yields you mention above: 6 qts of pears yielded you about 3 pints of preserves and 3 pints of glaze. In other words, you had a total of 6 pint size jars of pear-y goodness in one form or another?

Thanks!

Edie

• Edie said:

Hi again,

One more question, do/have you used any ascorbic acid to keep the pears from turning brown? Last year, I canned pears without any and they turned so brown that my family has a hard time getting over the visual of it, lol. Just wondering. If you have used ascorbic acid, what amount per 2 quarts of pear slices would you suggest? Thanks again.

Edie

Edie,

That’s right, I got six pints total :) For the preserves, you don’t have to worry about the pears turning brown. The preserves will take on a brownish color, but it isn’t unappealing in this state. For sliced pears, I treat them in water with lemon juice to maintain color.

• Pam said:

Great recipe and sounds yummy! What would you think of adding a bit of dried lavender flower

Pam,

Personally, I wouldn’t change it ;) BUT, if you do decide to experiment, I’d love to know how it turned out!!

• Judy said:

Canning pears for the first time. Just needed to know an approximate boiling time on the syrup. Or maybe if using a jelly thermometer what temp I should be looking for. Thanks, I really like your recipes.

Judy,

It’s hard to say ’cause it just depends upon how much juice you have in the syrup. Give yourself plenty of time though to allow the liquid to reduce by about half. Good luck!!

• LC said:

Found your blog when looking for a photo of pear preserves that looked like the ones my late mother used to put up. I borrowed your photo and will post it later today. if I hear from you that you prefer I don’t use it, I will take it off my post. I have credited you and linked to your pear post and to About Kendra.

I enjoyed my quick sample of your words and images and will be back for more visits regardless of your decision about the photo usage.

Hi LC,

Thank you for linking back to me :) I’m glad you found what you were looking for here!! Blessings!

• AnnieAZ said:

Made these today after soaking the pears in sugar for about 18 hours. I didn’t peel the pears which seemed to work out just fine. Sooooo soooo good! Beautiful consistency!

• Tina said:

Hi! Just made these up today! They are wonderful! I added in a stick of cinnamon when reducing the liquid as I always feel the need to add something, bad habit. Anyway, they are sooo good! I think I made the same amount as you but I got less syrup, only one pint of syrup and about five pints of pears with syrup. I did add some apple juice to the syrup thinking I would have more that way, maybe I just didn’t use quite as much sugar, I know I used at least four cups but who knows. They are so good anyway! Thank you so much! I am now wondering if added brandy would be good with this recipe? Just a little for an added flavor. Can wait to make them again, and yes, they are a delicacy and I will only give them away to my favorite people!

Yay!! So glad you love them, Tina :) I don’t think you will ever get the same exact amount every time, but you’ll get close. As for the brandy… I have no idea, really. Let me know if you try it though!