Home » Preserving Food, What's Cooking

Glazed Carrots Canning Recipe

>5 December 2010

glazed carrots canning recipe

Here’s a deliciously sweet alternative to just canning carrots in plain water. We tried them out last week and loved them! I found the recipe on Creative Canning. It originally calls for using ginger, but we don’t really like ginger so I left it out. I canned baby carrots and some sliced carrots using this recipe. Yummy!

Glazed Carrots- Canning Recipe

Yields 16 pints

• approx. 10 lbs carrots
  • 8 cups brown sugar
  • 8 cups water
  • 4 cups Orange Juice

Wash and drain carrots. In a large saucepan, combine the brown sugar, water and OJ. Heat over medium, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Keep it hot; you don’t have to bring it to a boil. Pack raw carrots into hot/sterilized jars leaving 1 inch headspace. Fill jars with hot syrup, again leaving 1″ headspace. Tap to remove air bubbles. Wipe rim of jar with wet rag to remove any drips. Screw on sterilized lids. In a pressure canner, process pints or quarts for 30 min. at 10 lbs pressure.

*TIP: Wide mouth jars make it much easier to remove the carrots when ready to eat.

Do you have a favorite glazed carrots recipe? What’s your favorite way to can carrots?

• Emily said:

This sounds really good. Thanks for posting Kendra. I get so many new ideas for my family from your blog. Off the subject I know…. but I was thinking about this the other day as I was reading and enjoying your blog. You say your from California? How did you and your husband meet? and get together? I’d love to hear the story sometime! :)

Emily~

Emily,

Really? You’d be interested in my love story?? LOL. Well, our anniversary is coming up, maybe that would be a good post to write then!

• Jill @ The Prairie Homestead said:

Hmmm… this sounds interesting. Would never have thought to use orange juice! Will have to try it next time I have a batch of carrots to can.

• Emily said:

Yes I would! I’ll be excited to read that post :)

Emily~

• Sandy said:

could you tell me if you could can these without a pressure cooker

Sandy,

Unfortunately, if any canning recipe specifies the use of a pressure canner, you cannot safely use any other canning method.

• pam said:

i am going to try carrotts first time this year , i can all kinds of stuff, including sp.sauce which specifies pressure canner, i use a water bath, the sp. sauce will be and is fine for up to 6mos, using water canner, just process 5min longer than called for under pressure, i’ve never had a problem only lost one jar in 7yrs and it was 10mos old kept it too long,,,, hope the same with cannied carotts , my only thought is it uses no vinegar but i can let u know if it works if ya want me to. happy canning! oh,,, have u done apple pie using zuccini? its awasome

Pam,

I’d be careful using a water bath for recipes that call for pressure canning. You really do run the risk of botulism. I have just recently heard of “mock” apple pie using zucchini. Sounds good!! If I had any more zucchinis I’d try it, lol!

• Bill said:

Hi. My wife and I are really getting into canning this year. This simple recipe makes the best tasting carrots. We did ours in jelly jars and it worked out for small side dish meals. We have filled our shelves for the winter and can’t wait to try canning venison if I have a sucessfull season.
    Thank you everybody for your tips and ideals. I love this web site.

Bill (US Army Retired)
    Valerie

• Shelley said:

Kendra,

Thanks for posting this recipe! I used your recipe as a base, but added minced garlic and ginger to the glaze as well. The jars are cooling right now, actually. I am planning on posting the recipe I used on my blog as well. I can’t wait to taste them.

Thanks for your site, I love learning and reading all you have to offer!

Blessings,

Shelley@foodandword

Shelley,

I’d love to know how it turns out!! :)