Home » From Scratch Recipes, What's Cooking

Homemade Flavored Liquid Coffee Creamer

>19 January 2011

This morning I was craving a steaming cup of sweet, flavored coffee. One problem. No flavored creamer. Unless I can pick up a bottle for free with coupons, luxuries such as this are non-existent in our home.

You know me though. There must be a way to make it myself! And sure enough, I found a super easy recipe to try! Enjoy!

Homemade Flavored Liquid Coffee Creamer

• 1 can sweetened condensed milk (300 ml), or make your own!
  • 1 1/2 cups non-fat milk
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla

Blend all ingredients together well, stirring to make sure the condensed milk doesn’t settle on the bottom. Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.

Flavor Variations:

• Chocolate Almond: add 1 Tbsp cocoa and 1 tsp almond extract
  • Cappuccino: add 1 tsp almond extract and 1/2 tsp orange extract
  • Amaretto: add 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp almond extract
  • Add specialty flavor syrups (from specialty coffee shops) as needed for additional flavors.

Anyone have a favorite creamer recipe they’d like to share??

• Lorie said:

Nice!! I used to drink the premade crap all the time – trans fats!!!

• Kara said:

I would probably just add the vanilla or whatever straight to my coffee – that way I wouldn’t have to commit to consuming all of one flavour.

• Mona @ Healthy Homesteading said:

I used to make this when I drank coffee and use sugar. It was quite tasty but coffee and creamy always makes me feel weighed down so I stop. I am a tea drinker now :)

• Mona @ Healthy Homesteading said:

Please ignore my spelling error ;)

• Shaye @ The Elliott Homestead said:

I prefer my coffee black. I’m manly like that :) Thinkin’ of you girl, I hope all is well!

• Jill said:

Awesome! I like flavored coffees but not sugar and those creamers are WAY too sweet for me. Plus some brands aren’t even real dairy (which means that you’re putting chemicals in your morning Joe. Ick!)I love that this recipe gives you flavor without added sugar. Thanks for sharing!

• kim said:

You would have to use low fat sweetened condensed milk to avoid the high saturated fat and high sugar content. I was wondering if you had tried this recipe with the low fat milk. I read a comic about a woman who went to the doctor asking how to lose weight? He told her to cut calories and fats, she said how will I know what has calories and fat. He said if it tastes good spit it out!!! Have a great day! Kim

Kim,

Yes, you can definitely use low fat sweetened condensed milk!!

• Rachel said:

I add a tablespoon of Watkins flavored extracts right to the coffee grounds before I brew the coffee, and there is no need for any type of creamer, or if you want the “cream” look and feel, add a touch of fat free half and half to the coffee after you pour it!!
    : )

• Stephanie said:

Wow I love this idea! My husband loves the French Vanilla flavor, so I will have to try this. Although I always wonder, what makes vanilla french or not french? :)

• Amy Todd said:

I have made these and I love it!

I also made a powdered version one year and gave it as Christmas gifts in recycled babyfood jars I decorated. I had LOTS more time that Christmas than I did this one LOL!!

I am enjoying your blog! I just started my own, I would love for you to come and give me advice.

Amy

• Lacey said:

I would love to know if anyone knows how to make the Creme Brulee flavor. It is sad, but that is really the only one I like. I would love to be able to make it myself. That stuff can get so expensive. Wish I could drink it black! Any help would be appreciated.

• Jeanette said:

Thanks for the great ideas. I really like my AM coffee, but just can’t drink it black! For those who like to add a little flavor to the whole pot, try a teaspoon of cinnamon and a dash of vanilla sprinkled over the grounds before you brew. It is really nice if you like a Mexican twist. This is good with dessert.

• Nancy said:

I am HOOKED on Vanilla Carmel Coffee mate,,,, it is getting expensive and I am wanting to try this homemade. I love the creamyness…if that is a word. lol and I can get the vanilla,, but what about the carmel? carmel cream? carmel candies,,, omgoodness,, can you imagine the calories then… lol anyone have any ideas???

• angie said:

For those wanting a little more sweetness, I wonder if you could substitute soy or almond milk, that may be an idea to try without adding extra sugar!

• Sandra said:

I make this all the time! My last few batches have been with powdered milk. Mixes and tastes wonderful!

• Debbi Andrews said:

Sweetened condensed milk has LOTS of sugar in it already, 3/4 to 1 cup sugar per 12 oz. can equivalent. For a cheaper version of sweetened condensed milk: 1/2 cup warm water and 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons nonfat dry milk—mixed together, then add 3/4 cup sugar. Let set overnight if possible, good for making fudge also. I haven’t tried, but have another recipe that calls for 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, and 1/3 cup butter—all brought to a boil over high heat and whirled in a blender with 1 1/3 cups nonfat dry milk. Maybe brown sugar in place of white would yield the Creme Brulee flavor? Or caramel? Recipe can be scaled down to a smaller amount this way, too:) Thanks for all the great flavor options!

• Jaci said:

i make my husbands vanilla creamer with half and half, cream, vanilla and maple syrup or organic sugar to sweeten. He doesnt use sugar in his coffee but black isn’t his preference either so this sweetened creamer is perfect for him. I get 1 container each of organic half and half ,a nd cream or sometimes use the cream off our raw milk and heat the half and half with the sugar/syrup to meld them together then add the cold cream and vanilla mix and store in mason jars in the fridge.

• Staci N said:

I just discovered your blog and loving it! I am trying to replace things in my diet for healthier things, but my creamer is a must have. My favorite is pumpkin spice. Do you have a homemade recipe for that?
    Can’t wait to hear back!

Staci N,

Not off the top of my head, but you should definitely google it! I like looking at Food.com for stuff like that. You might find what you’re looking for! Let us know ;)

• Christine said:

I didn’t really have anything to say about the recipe, I haven’t tried this creamer out…yet. :) However I saw the comment from Staci N., and I wanted to make a note that there are pumpkin spice liquid flavorings/extracts out there. I see no reason why a person couldn’t use it in place of vanilla (although I’m a vanilla person through and through).

Oh, and chocolate extract with mint extract supposedly makes your coffee seem like you are drinking a peppermint patty. That sounds like fun, or an occasion, not sure about a daily occurrence.