Home » Frugal Living, What's Cooking

Quick Sandwiches In A Pinch

>26 January 2011

Sometimes we need a quick lunch idea, and sandwiches are definitely an easy thing to slap together last minute. But deli meat is expensive, and you may not have any on hand. What else can you make a sandwich with?

Here are some ideas that I like to fall back on when it seems there’s nothing to put between those two slices of bread. Usually, I can manage to scrounge together something!

Got a slice of cheese? Make a Grilled Cheese Sandwich!

Any leftover chicken hanging around? How about a chicken salad sandwich. Just shred the cooked chicken up, add a few Tablespoons of mayonnaise and some sweet pickle relish, salt and pepper to taste and there ya go!

Have a can of tuna? Make a tuna salad sandwich. Most kids even like this. Make it the same as the chicken salad above.

Got a few eggs you can hard boil? Make them into egg salad sandwiches. Again, just follow the mayo, sweet pickle relish, salt and pepper method used above. Makes a delicious sandwich filling!

Don’t forget the old standby- Peanut Butter & Jelly.

Peanut Butter & Honey is also super good, when you are out of jelly or just want something different.

If you have a banana you could make a Peanut Butter & Banana sandwich… or even better, grill it in a frying pan like you would a grilled cheese!

Of course, if you like bananas but don’t like peanut butter, they are good with mayonnaise on bread as well.

If you have a nice ripe tomato, you could have a yummy tomato sandwich!

Leftover roast beef makes a delicious sandwich too! If you have any cheese, or BBQ sauce you can add that to give it new life.

Sloppy Joes are really easy too, if you have some hamburger to brown, BBQ sauce and ketchup to mix up.

And if you are really out of luck, and don’t have any bread on hand or several hours to make a loaf, you can make some homemade tortillas (quick to make) or pita pockets (take a little more time) instead!

This is just what I do around here anyway. What do you like to throw between your bread for a quick meal??

• Kris Watson said:

Bacon, lettuce and tomato.

Peanut butter, bananas and bacon.

Egg salad with bacon.

Or, because I am a purist, six half slices of extra crisp bacon on white bread, with mayo.

Sensing a trend? Yes, I do can bacon. Why do you ask? LOL

LOL, thanks Kris :) I’d forgotten about BLT’s. Mmmm… Great. Thanks a lot. Now I want one. We do turkey bacon around here, which is still just as good if you ask me!!

• Miranda said:

Sometimes we just make fried eggs and put them on bread with a little mayo.
    Another favorite is grilled cheese with a couple slices of leftover pepperoni placed on top of the cheese.
    Egg salad and tuna salad are also yummy on crackers when we are short of bread.

This is a great list. Thanks for the reminder. Oh, yes, I second the BLT’s!!

Miranda,

Oh yeah! Thanks for reminding me about using crackers too. I’ve often had to resort to a box of crackers for chicken and tuna salad. That’s a great last minute idea! The kids like it that way too :)

• Amanda said:

If you have left over spaghetti sauce, put a tablespoon of it on your grilled cheese sandwiches. We called these pizza sandwiches when I was a kid. They are still a favorite comfort food today. (You can get a similar effect, but not quite the same, sprinkling Italian herbs on your grilled cheese sandwich.)

I love avocado sandwiches! Just put avocado slices, salt and pepper on toasted bread. I make these whenever I find overripe avocados on sale. In the summer I’ll add a slice of homegrown tomato as well. :)

• Andrea said:

English muffin with cheese and a little bacon on top, cook it until the bacon is done…we use veggie bacon but it is still yummy. Refried beans with left over tortilla chips for a chip and dip lunch, brown bread with cream cheese (add cucumber if you like it), not to mention a cucumber on bread with mayo sandwich in the summer.

• Larry said:

Grilled cheese with bacon and tomato.

• kim said:

Dont forget pizza bread! a little pizza or leftover spaghetti sauce on a piece of leftover bread ends( my husband will not eat them )top with whatever cheese you have and toast in oven. Can add diff things to it just like any pizza.

• kim said:

Just remembered another! My dad showed me a wonderful sandwich. Cream cheese and sliced green olives on pumpernickle bread. Altho I dont always have rye on hand so I have used other breads, its almost as good! Dont knock it till you have tried it!

• Debi said:

My all time favorite summer sandwich: Bread, mayo, cucumber slices, tomato slices, salt and pepper! Oooh yummy. And at Grandma’s house she’d add bacon. Hot diggity! That was so good! Hmmm…I’m excited for summer so I can have more of that yumminess.

Pizza bread is a great idea!

• Heather said:

I just discovered grilled peanut butter and jelly sandwiches about 2 years ago. I’d never heard of them before. I made one up and it was pretty good. I made one for both my husband and daughter and they LOVED them.

• Mrs. D said:

Mr. D’s idea of a great sandwich…

two slices (thick), of homemade whole wheat bread… or leftover pancakes if no bread.

1 can of sardines
    1 very thick slice of cheese (before we were married and more frugal he’d take an 8 oz block of cheese and squish it till it was sandwich size) this must be Cabot seriously sharp or hunter cheese.
    1 slice of raw onion
    several sections of navel oranges
    dill pickles (only his own) these are garlic dill (sour).

I remember the first time we saw him eat this which he calls a “Dagwood” sandwich… all of us were stunned. He could barely get his mouth around it.

Sound yummy? *smile*

Oh. Wow. Mrs. D… that’s, um, some sandwich!! LOL Hope you have some mints handy after all that!! :)

• Lauren said:

We like pimento cheese sandwiches. You can eat them just plain on homemade breal or grilled with soup. I’m a Lowcountry girl so I like making palmetto cheese instead of just plain pimento cheese. There are tons of recipes for making pimento cheese if you google it. Palmetto cheese has a little more kick than regular pimento cheese! Thanks….I think I might need to make sandwiches for lunch…hmmm….better go make bread first!!!

Lauren,

My husband makes the best homemade pimento cheese!! I forgot about that :) Though, we hardly ever have enough cheese to make it with. He uses Velveeta.

• Shannon said:

I don’t eat beef, but I do like sloppy joes. I just wanted to put the idea out there, especially with the thought of food stores and times where you may not have cow available if you like that, that you can use TVP for the fill in the joes. Textured Vegetable Protein works great and is good protein, but the best quality about it would be that it is a dry component you can store lots of, use easily and it can also be quite cheap. Just putting that out there. Oh yeah, and I like my egg salad sandwiches with mayo and mustard, much better to me, but to each their own.

• Becky said:

Leftover roast beef can also be ground up and mixed with mayo, mustard(opt.), sweet relish. If there are eaters who don’t care for the relish, like my hubby and kiddos, just mayo and mustard with a little onion and garlic pwd. works just as well. Any meat with a slice or two of cheese on the bread of choice placed under the broiler or in a toaster oven turns a plain jane sandwich into a delish melt.

In a pinch, time-wise and financially, I have used a pizza crust dough that can be mixed up quickly then rolled out and cooked on a hot griddle like a tortilla. Biscuits stir up in a flash too, especially if using homemade biscuit mix.(numerous recipes online) The biscuits can bake while the sandwich filling is being thrown together. They are also perfect for little hands.

Another quick fix is to turn leftover sandwich fillings into a quesadilla. These make wonderful breakfasts. Sandwich scrambled eggs, cheese, and crumbled meat (opt) between two tortillas and cook on griddle (or in pan). Cut in wedges and serve with salsa, sour cream, guacamole, whatever you like.

Can you tell we like sandwiches at our house? Thank you for the post filled with good ideas. Fresh thoughts are so—refreshing :)

Becky,

Thanks for all of the great ideas!