Off Grid

The struggles and freedom of life without electricity.

Gardening

How-to’s for beginners, and lots of good tips on raising food to sustain your family.

Eating Off The Land

Straight from the garden, wild game, and foraging recipes.

Preparedness

Food storage, emergency preparedness, survival skills, and more.

Essential Oils & Herbs

Herbal recipes, essential oils, and old-fashioned remedies for supporting your family's health naturally.

Home » From Scratch Recipes, What's Cooking

How To Make Butter In A Blender

Submitted by on February 18, 2011 – 9:22 pm 23 Comments

When I first learned how to make butter, it was using the old “shake cream in a mason jar” technique. It worked. But it took FOR-EV-ER.

Thank goodness for modern conveniences!

Cue the everyday blender.

Okay you hard core off-griders, hand crank blenders will work too.

But seriously, this method is a hundred times easier, and quicker than shaking it in a jar.

Here’s how simple it is:

Pour the fresh cream into a blender. This is the cream that has been skimmed off of fresh cow’s milk. I don’t know if store bought cream would do the same thing, I don’t think so… anybody know?? I like to let the cream sit out at room temp for a while to knock off the chill. It seems to turn quicker this way.

Set the blender to a medium speed and press start. Slower speeds will work, it just takes a little more time. Any agitation will cause the butter to form eventually.

After a few minutes, you will see the cream turning frothy. That means it’s almost done. Blend a little longer until you see the butter floating as a solid on top of the remaining liquids.

Spoon the butter out into a separate bowl.

Next you’ll need to rinse the butter of all remaining milk. I like to use cold water from the fridge for this. No, the butter won’t melt when it gets wet. Just don’t use hot water.

Pour cold water into the bowl, and use a spoon or your fingers to squish the butter around. The water will get cloudy. This is the milk being rinsed from the butter.

Pour the cloudy water out and add fresh cold water to the butter. Squish it around more until the water is cloudy again. The point of doing this is to wash out all remaining milk from the butter. If any milk is left in the butter, it will spoil pretty much overnight. Your butter will taste like the worst soured milk you’ve ever smelled. Believe me. I know.

You may have to rinse and repeat seven or eight times, but continue this process until the water stays clear. Then you’ll know it has been rinsed well enough. If you are unsure if the water is absolutely clear, do it one more time. The tiniest bit of milk left in your butter will ruin it.

Drain the water out well, and put your beautiful fresh butter into a covered glass jar or a butter crock.

If you’ve never tried fresh butter, it’s good. It tastes like… well… butter! If your butter tastes bad, you didn’t get it rinsed well enough.

You can add salt to it if you like. I don’t. It gets hard in the fridge, so don’t expect it to be spreadable.

And that’s that! Butter in a blender. Whodathunk?!

Tags: ,

• Sally says:

Wonderful! I’m going to try this tomorrow with cream I have left over from Thanksgiving.

• Krista says:

I see someone has mentioned this already, my version is a bit different. Take one cup butter and place in mixing bowl. Turn on mixer(or use hand beaters) and whip it, add 1/2 cup oil ( canola/ olive etc…) and 1/2 cup water.
    This makes the perfect spread! In the winter I leave it on the counter and it’s soft like margarine. Summer I put it in the fridge- where it still says somewhat soft. SAVES money as you add 1/2 cup water=free and healthier with the addition of oil!

• Judy says:

Really did enjoy hearing how to make butter! I can’t wait to try.
    Could you please do the same with mayonnaise? Thank you!

• Teleia says:

How many sheets make a bathroom-sized rug?

• sophie says:

you can just drink the buttermilk from when you drain it off :) super yummy goodness :D

• Mykell says:

I discovered making butter a few years back in a similar fashion. I learned with heavy whipping cream and my kitchen-aid. Unfortunately the milk from the farms is WAY expensive out where I live (N. TX) even though I live in the rural country.

The “buttermilk” that separates from the butter itself, we use in coffee instead of commercial creamer…it is so sweet and yummy!!

I normally get a small bowl (about a cup size) and line it with plastic wrap, mush as much butter as I can in there, then pull it out and wrap it to store in the freezer or fridge. If I plan far enough in advance, I’ll let it sit at room temperature while I prepare my meal so it will be spreadable, although sometimes I’ll just cut it into “pats” and put them on a plate for everyone to use.

Thank so much for sharing!

• carol says:

Thank you so much. I am working on a plan to go Off-Grid and wanting to learn all I can. I’m disabled so any little cheats like the blender is very helpful. I do want to keep using electrical devices to a low usage but my hands go numb doing normal chores now so it is necessary for me but really want to make my own butter like I did as a child and teach my nearly grown children to do the same if the want to.

• Barbara says:

This also works with heavy whipping cream.

• katy says:

I buy raw milk, and there is usually 3-4 inches of cream on top. What’s a good way of separating it (besides buying a separator?) I tried putting the milk in a lemonade jar (with a spout at the bottom), letting it sit and separate completely, then take milk from the spout, leaving the cream. But it didn’t work very well.

• Jenn says:

Way cool! I made butter last year using a hand mixer but this looks like it would be faster. I can’t imagine shaking it in a mason jar. Did you have a bigger bicep afterward? :)

• Alison says:

The buttermilk you buy at the store (and the one usually called for in recipes)is a cultured product, like yogurt. That’s where the “sour” comes from. It’s not the same thing as the buttermilk leftover from making butter. A lot of recipes that call for buttermilk are relying on the lactic acid in cultured buttermilk to interact with baking soda for leavening. The liquid left over from making butter, while it can certainly be used in cooking, probably should not be used in these recipes. No acid=no bubbles.

• April says:

I am so glad you mentioned rinsing the butter. A lot of people don’t, and it is so important.

We make ours in the kitchen aid, and it does freeze well also.

We have a nearby dairy that sells their products to the store. However, we learned if we go to the dairy, we can buy cream in a larger container (which we have to provide) and a much cheaper cost than what is on the store shelf, even though it came from them.

Also, save the milk that came off the butter–it basically is skim milk. I use it for cooking.

The rinse water I also save and put in the animals water bowls. Gives them a few extra calories during the winter months, and is good for their coats as well.

• Lucy says:

Hello!

Butter blended with an equal amount of oil, makes for a soft spread. Blend butter with olive oil or unrefined canola and add a dash of sea salt. Keep refrigerated and it spreads easily.

• Rollingstonemom says:

I have not had access to fresh cream, so, each Thanksgiving and Christmas, we purchase cream from the store. We have used the Mason jar method as well as my hand-held mixer. They both work. Now, since this is just for the day, we have not rinsed the milk out as we should, but it is tasty and delicious and does not last longer than the meals themselves.

Thanks, Kendra, for all the “Down on the homestead” advice you give. You help city girls like me, find a way to get back to how things used to be and how to make being more self-sufficient work while living in the suburbs.

• Tammy McNair says:

Oops, sorry! I did not see the previous comment!

• Tammy McNair says:

Just wanted to add that store bought cream work also. :0) Best to use organic of course. ;0)

• Kendra, you can make butter with store bought pasteurized cows milk cream .I have made butter with goat milk but I get so little it’s hardly worth it. I will have to try it with cows milk.

• Mona,

Oh wonderful! Thanks for letting me know! Though… that stuff is EXPENSIVE lately! I was looking at a pint of it the other day for a recipe and it was over $3!! You can get a whole gallon of milk for that much!! I don’t know if it’s worth it to try making butter from storebought cream… though I haven’t priced butter in a while either.

Leave a comment!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.