Home » From Scratch Recipes, What's Cooking

Simple Homemade Buttercream Frosting

>21 February 2011

This is my go-to recipe when I need to frost a cake. Every birthday, this is what I use. I love love LOVE buttercream frosting! Here’s how it’s done…

• 1/3 cup butter, softened to room temp
  • 4 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup milk; plus a little extra
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Beat the butter till fluffy. Gradually add 2 cups of powdered sugar, beating well. Slowly beat in 1/4 cup milk and vanilla. Beat in the remaining sugar, a little at a time. Add additional milk a tablespoon at a time, if needed, to desired consistency.

I eat this stuff out of the bowl with a spoon. Seriously. It is SO good!!

• Kim Neyer said:

This looks very good! I make my buttercream frosting with 1 cup butter, softened, 1 cup butter flavored Crisco, 2 teaspoons vanilla, 1/2 cup milk
    and 4 to 6 cups of powdered confectioners sugar. Granted, my recipe makes a huge batch of frosting! I used it on a wedding cake and I think that’s why I made the recipe yield so much!

• Pam W. said:

I will have to bake a cake just so I can try this frosting! MMMMM!

• Ashley said:

Made this frosting last night for some cupcakes and it was SO sweet! It’s a gorgeous frosting, but I need to figure out how to make it a little more do-able for me.

• leyla said:

I just tried this to the T and it tasted gross cuz of the vanilla.

Leyla,

Sorry to hear that! Did you use REAL vanilla? Or imitation?

• Devende said:

I am an avid baker. I love baking cakes but never have a truely great icing to put on top. this is it! this icing got rave reviews. I made this into a chocolate icing too with grand results. Brilliant recipe!I will use this over and over.

P.S. Your chocolate whole wheat birthday cake was pretty scrumptious too. ;)

I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipes, Devende!! Thank you for letting me know your results :)

• Donna DeMartino said:

My Grandmother always made her icing this way . . only she used Carnation canned milk in place of regular milk. And then of course food color for icing sugar cookies!

• Andrea said:

Do you use salted or I salted butter? And real vanilla, or extract?

Andrea,

I usually have unsalted butter on hand so that’s what I use, and of course, homemade real vanilla is the best, but extract would do as a substitute.

• Vicky said:

Hello. I tried the abive recipe and I was disapoointed. Iwe found the frosting very sweet. My 7 year old son, who is a sugar fan, said it was too much sugar. I opted to add 1 cup vanilla greek yogert to kill the sugar and 4 Tbsp coco powder thus making a drizzle for iur cake. The kids loved it. Granted it was to liquid for a frosting but perfect as a drizzle.

• Maggie said:

Just found your recipe and am ready to try it. Will it hold up for piping onto cupcakes?

Maggie,

Yep! You may need to adjust the milk amount so your icing is a little on the stiff side. Enjoy!