Home » From Scratch Recipes, What's Cooking

The Best Whole Wheat Brownies (Plus, Fudge Frosting Recipe)

>15 April 2011

This is my absolute favorite brownie recipe. You can use all purpose flour, but using 100% whole wheat makes them good for you. That’s what I tell myself, anyways.

Enjoy!

The Best Whole Wheat Brownies

• 1/2 c. butter
  • 7 Tbsp cocoa powder*
  • 1Tbsp fat (I use shortening)*
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3/4 cup flour (I use freshly ground hard white wheat; you could use all purpose.)

*OR, you could substitute the cocoa powder and fat for 2 oz unsweetened chocolate squares.

Melt the butter, shortening, and cocoa powder together over low-med. heat in a medium sized saucepan. Remove from heat and add the sugar, eggs and vanilla just till combined. Stir the flour in well. Pour batter into a greased 8×8 baking dish. Bake at 350* for 30 min, or until a toothpick comes out clean from center.

If you really wanna go all out, once they’ve cooled top them off with this deliciously easy fudge frosting:

• 2 1/2 c. powdered sugar
  • 1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 c. butter, softened
  • 1/6 c. boiling water (half of 1/3 c)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla

In a large mixing bowl, stir together the powdered sugar and cocoa. Add the rest of the ingredients, beating on low until thoroughly combined. Then beat on medium for 1 min. Cool for about 30 min. so that it hardens to spreading consistency. Try not to eat it all with a spoon.

• Heather said:

Those sound soooo darn good but sadly I am very allergic to wheat :(

• Kris said:

Sounds tasty! I’ll be printing this and trying it sometime soon!

• Stacey said:

I have these in the oven as I type! Can. Not. Wait… to have a huge piece w/ ice cream & homemade hot fudge sauce… better eat two so I don’t wind up with uneven hips! LOL

• Stacey said:

Oh my…these are SOOOOO good! Dangerously good. Doubt they see tomorrow!! Thanks for sharing!

Stacey,

My kinda girl!! LOL, I’m so glad you enjoyed them :)

• Stacey said:

BTW…one large piece made it to today, only because last night I packed it in my hubby’s lunch! LOL

• Shannon Leigh said:

I have tried so many unsuccessful Internet recipes, and this recipe is NOT one of them! They came out soooo good (cakey, moist, slight slight chewiness) and I used canola oil for the ‘fat’. The whole wheat gives it that extra something, in a good way… Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, it’s officially bookmarked ! Haha

So glad to hear you enjoyed them, Shannon! :)