Home » Home Birth, Cloth Diapers, Breastfeeding, Raising Kids

Baby Elias’ Homebirth Story- Part One

>11 May 2011

What happened to one more week, huh?? I sure am glad I posted that last prego picture while I still had a day or so! I had a feeling this one would come early, and I’d really been feeling the push to get all of my preparations in order, but I had no idea I’d go a whole week early!

As a matter of fact, I’d spent all day Sunday straightening rooms and cooking more meals to freeze for later. Before I went to bed I even went down my supplies checklist one more time to make sure I had everything I needed, and stuck a few last minute things in my to-go bag in case I had to transfer to the hospital. Everything was ready.

At around 3:30am Monday morning, I woke up out of a perfect sleep feeling mild contractions. They weren’t painful, but consistent, and I knew this was it. I tried to go back to sleep, but my mind filled with more things that I wanted to get done while I still could, so I got up and quietly took a nice, long shower.

When I got out, and snuck back into the dark bedroom to get dressed, Jerry rolled over half asleep and asked, “Are you okay?” I smiled to myself and answered, “Uh-huh.” He said, “Oh. Good. You scared me being up so early. I thought you might be in labor.” I was quiet. He suddenly sounded more awake as he asked, ” You aren’t in labor, are you?” I laughed at his realization and answered, “Well, I’m having some contractions. But go back to sleep! I’ll let you know if I need you.”

I made my way into the kitchen and washed up some lingering dishes. I got a load of laundry going, did some work on the computer, hung a load out on the line to dry, made breakfast, got the kids up and fed, folded a few piles of clothes and put them away, painted my toenails, and just tried to busy myself. There was no going back to sleep now!

It was a little after 9am. I was in the bathroom putting on my face, when in the middle of a contraction I felt a “pop”, and an unexpected gush. What was that?! I changed myself, and went to tell Jerry that either I’d just peed in my pants, or my water had broken. I continued what I’d been doing, and Jerry jumped on the phone to let his work know he wouldn’t be coming in.

At 9:39am I started timing the contractions. 10 min. apart. I called the midwife to let her know I thought my water had broken, but wasn’t positive. She laughed and said she hears that a lot. I explained what I’d felt, and that every time I had a contraction it would trickle a little more. She agreed that it sounded like my membranes had ruptured. I told her I was doing fine though, and didn’t feel like I needed her yet.

By 10:00 the contractions were 6 min. apart, but still very tolerable. Jerry called his mom around 11:30 and asked her if she could watch the kids for us. We fed them some lunch before they left. And I gave them all big hugs and told them that when they came back they’d have a little brother or sister! They were so excited!

I called Amy, my midwife, again a little before 1:00 just to update her on things. She said she’d come over to check me out.

We didn’t expect for her to stay, but once she was here and had checked me she found I was 7 cm. dilated. Surprised, she said, “Uh, you’re a 7! I’m not going anywhere!” She hopped on her phone to call her assistant and told her to come quickly.

I was thankful to have progressed that far. The contractions were strong, but somehow easier to handle this time around. I didn’t have to moan or hum, or try to work through them like last time. When a contraction would hit, I’d just pause and breathe silently, focusing on what was happening in my body and thanking the Lord for the baby that was on its way.

Cortney, my other favorite midwife, was at my house very quickly. I was so glad she was able to be there to help!

I stayed standing for as long as I could. It seemed to help keep things going. Eventually, though, I decided it felt better to sit on the potty. That position helped to bring on the urge to push.

The midwives worked quickly to get the bathtub full. I was afraid I might not make it as slowly as that water ran! I was very relieved when the tub was full and I was able to climb into the incredibly relaxing water.

I labored for about another hour in the water. Still not yelling, or making any noise really, just focusing and breathing. Finally that long anticipated urge to really push came. Amy encouraged me to feel the baby’s head in the birth canal when the next contraction came. That was truly amazing, and inspired me knowing I was that close! It took a few good pushes; I tried to go slow though, so as not to tear.

Jerry was in the kitchen fetching more hot water when the baby started to crown. The ladies called for him, “You’d better get in here!” He ran back, and made it in time to catch the baby! At 3:26pm, he was born.

Before I knew it, a slippery baby was placed against my chest. I was done! I can’t even explain the relief, and thankfulness that flooded my entire being.

I heard Jerry ask what the baby was. My hand was holding baby’s bottom, so I felt around and announced, “It’s a boy!” He was covered in white vernix, but a beautiful sight nonetheless.

A healthy, perfect baby boy.

To be continued…

Current-Special

• Jennifer Smith said:

Congratulations on your NEW bundle of joy! Can’t wait to read the rest of the story.

• sandra said:

wow!!

• Nina said:

Congratulations! Wonderful birth story. Sounds like your labor went beautifully!

• Amy @ Homestead Revival said:

Kendra, sounds like it couldn’t have gone any better! And look at you… calm and beautiful! Praising the Lord with you both for a safe and healthy delivery!

• Laura-Lisa said:

You are amazing!

• Jana said:

You made that look so easy :) Wish I could tolerate the pain like that. Congrats!

• Stacey said:

Blessings!!!!!! xoxoxox

• Lorie said:

Congrats and glad it went smoothly!

• Laryssa @Heaven In The Home said:

Wow, you did so well! So happy for you all.

• Jill @ The Prairie Homestead said:

You look so beautiful and calm so soon after birth. I love it! Congrats on the healthy baby boy! :)

(And can I just say I’m a little jealous of your 6 pound baby? My daughter was over 9 lbs and took 2 hours of pushing… lol!)

• nightowl_72 said:

Congratulations Kendra! Congrats to your husband and family too. You look so beautiful. You can’t ask for more than a healthy baby and making it through yourself without too many difficulties.

I wish I’d had the where-with-all to get my face on when I was in labor! :)

• Lanna said:

Congrats! Baby looks so cute, and wow, you look amazing for labor (I look, uh, a bit more rumpled). :)

• Mona @ Healthy Homesteading said:

I can’t believe how relaxed you looked Kendra. Such a blessing to have such a smooth birth. God is good!

• Heidi said:

Oh my goodness! Beautiful! Everything… (you, your grace, your beautiful baby, …) just amazing and beautiful! You (and your husband) are so awesome! Happy birthday little guy!

• Sabrina said:

Wow! Absolutely beautiful! You look so great! That’s great that everything went so smoothly for you :-)

• Rachel Thompson said:

Kendra,
    Reading your blog brings tears of joy to my eyes!! You are such a God fearing sweet lady!! I pray that The Lord Jesus Christ richly blesses you and your family!!!

• Mrs. D said:

Can I just tell you that had I not been reading you for years I would in no way believe that you had just delivered that baby? What a blessing that baby is and what a blessing it is to have THOSE pictures of you.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it yet again…you, my dear Kendra, are 10 times the woman I am.

Thank you for sharing your life with us.

• Renata said:

You look amazing Kendra- thank you for sharing & with such lovely photos that you will treasure!
    Enjoy this newborn phase!
    Blessings
    Renata:)

• Melissa said:

I am covered in goosebumps with your story (and grinning from ear-to-ear). I am so happy for your smooth and relaxed labor and delivery. What a beautiful and peaceful way for little Elias to come into this world. God’s many blessings and favor were with you…and still are. I look forward to the rest of the story. :)
    Blessings.

• PikaPikaChick said:

Not only are you an amazing person, you manage to look amazing during childbirth! You can see the confidence and radiance in your face. Huge congratulations on your new son and thanks for the amazing homebirth story!

• Emily said:

painted your toenails! ;) (Just picking, I once helped butcher a deer in waiting.)

Indeed you look absolutely graceful and at peace, TRULY beautiful.
    Blessed be you and your family! Glory be to YHVH!

• Christine said:

Such a beautiful birth story! I have had two homebirths, and I wouldn’t want to birth anywhere else, now! Blessings!

• Bobbi said:

Congratulations again. :) I can’t wait for the rest of the story too!

• Monica said:

What an amazing experience! Looks like momma and baby are doing great!

• bonnie said:

This made me cry, I am so happy for you and that handsome young man. But I cry everytime I’m happy, Praying God’s blessings on you all.

• Tancy said:

Congrats to you and your family!! I am so happy for you! What a lovely birth story. I hope mine sounds something like that in a few more weeks! God bless you as you snuggle and recover!

• Michelle said:

Thank you so much for sharing your story with us! I am thrilled for you and your family, and I can’t wait to hear the rest of the story. :-)

• LaRee Wyatt said:

Thanks for sharing your story. My Mom is a midwife and I’ve had the opportunity of attending many home births with her. I always love a good birth story, they are all different and so amazing! Congrats on a beautiful baby boy:-)

• Katie W. said:

Congrats he is beautiful!

• Melanie said:

Congratulations Kendra! What a beautiful birth story. I am a doula and love how you managed early labor so much that I posted it on my blog. You can check it out here:

• Denob said:

When you didn’t show up for the podcast I called it…congrats.

• Nikki R said:

Congratulations again Kendra(and family)!!Elias is absolutely beautiful!!We are so happy for you and so thankful to our Heavenly Father for making it all go so well this time.I love reading birth stories and look forward to reading more later.Thanks for sharing your story with us!!:)Nikki

• Amanda said:

I’m encouraged…

and inspired:)

So happy for you for such a smooth labor and delivery!

• ~L~ said:

How on earth can you give birth and then STILL be photogenic!!! Every post-birth picture I’ve seen of every woman is all sweaty and half-crazed looking!!

Congrats to you and your family and kudos to you for having such an amazingly positive personality.

• Quinn said:

Praise God from whom all blessings flow! Congratulations Kendra & family! He’s so handsome and I agree with your previous commentators, you look simply wonderful! A testament to the beauty and peacefulness in home birthing. Rest well and enjoy these priceless moments :)

• Mimi said:

That’s my beautiful grandaughter. Welcome to our 8th gr. grandchild. He was named after his grandpa, Elias JAMES. Praise God for home birthing. She and others are such a testament for this practice. God bless you Amy & Cortney. I would have given anything to experience what she has when I had my 6 children. They were all born in the ’60′s and that had to be the most sterile, unpleasant, unnatural time to have babies. Doctors then frowned on natural birth & insisted on spinal anesthesia or caudals. Also, my dear husband NEVER got to see any of them being born. This practice was not allowed. We are so blessed to have such beautiful, healthy grandchildren & gr. grandchildren. Congratulations Papa Jerry, Jada, Titus & Xia.
    Love & Kisses, Mimi

• Mom said:

Kendra, you are sooo amazing!!!! I am so ecstatic that Elias is finally here. Congratutions to the whole family. God has richly blessed us all!!! I love you all so much!!! Please get some rest, Kendra, you’re going to need it!! I’m sure you have the best three little helpers ever, though! Jerry, you take it easy, too, OK? You’ve got your hands full, too! All of my love, Mom xoxoxoxox!!!!!

• Maggie said:

How in the world did you paint your toenails?!? Awesome story! As a grandmother with HORRID hospital experiences, I am glad things are changing. Thanks for sharing!