Home » From Scratch Recipes, What's Cooking

Delicious Cranberry-Almond Granola (Or, However You Like It!)

>9 May 2011

Hey guys!! I’m so glad you could join me, Jill, Amy, and Megan for another fun-filled Homestead Barn Hop! It has been so inspiring visiting everyone’s homesteads and seeing what you’ve all been up to! Keep the great ideas coming!

Please forgive my lack of photography skills. I totally blame my cheep-o camera.

I made a batch of this granola today and just had to share it with you. It is SO SUPER GOOD! It makes a perfect homemade cereal when enjoyed with cold milk. It’s also delicious over yogurt or vanilla ice cream. Good luck keeping this stuff stocked in your pantry! What I especially love is that it can be made, very easily I might add, using everything from food storage.

Homemade Granola

• 4 cups old fashioned oats
  • 1 cup chopped nuts (I used almonds)
  • 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
  • 1/8 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 c. dried fruit (I used cranberries)
  • *1/4 tsp salt- only if the nuts aren’t already salted
  • 1/3 c. vegetable oil (or your favorite alternative)
  • 1/4 c. honey
  • 2 Tbsp sugar
  • 4 tsp vanilla extract

In a large bowl, mix together the first five ingredients, plus the salt if needed. Next, in a small saucepan, combine the oil, honey and sugar. Heat over medium heat until simmering. Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the vanilla. Pour this mixture while still hot over the oats and stir well, making sure to coat all of the dry granola.

Spread the mixture on a large, greased cookie sheet ( I used a cast iron pizza pan and a small cookie sheet). Bake at 300* for about 20 min. (or until light golden brown), stirring the mixture after the first 10 min.

Remove from oven and cool for several minutes before stirring again. Allow to cool completely then store in an airtight container. Does not need to be refrigerated.

And that’s it! Super easy, huh? We are all in love with this recipe!

Do you have a favorite granola recipe to share that your family loves?

What’s new at your place this week? Link up below and share the progress you’ve been making on your homestead!

• Amanda said:

Kendra this looks great! I will surely be making some as we just ran our of my regular recipe.

I’m going to aim at linking up with you tomorrow for the homestead barn hop about planning for our home birth.

Your blog has been so helpful to me in preparing from everything from freezer meals to what to expect with a home birth.

Thank You!

• Carol said:

Many thanks! I made this today for my family (including my 8 and 5 year-olds) and they LOVED it! I had been looking for a recipe like this. I’ve been trying to wean them (and my husband) off store-bought cold cereals and cooked cereals just weren’t cutting it, especially in the warmer weather. I am so excited to finally have something that works for us and is made from real, whole foods.
    WhooHoo!!

Carol, that’s wonderful! So glad your family has enjoyed it too :)

• Sheila said:

This was great. Me and my 8 year old daughter ate it all day like it was candy. It was good for breakfast with milk too. Thanks!

• Nikki R said:

Hi Kendra,
    I just wanted to share that we have made this recipe now three days in a row.I always double the recipe(growing boys eat alot!!)It has been a big hit.We have done a few variations.It has been good each time.I leave out the nuts in some as my 17 month old likes to eat what we are eating.We have used raisins,dried cranberries,and coconut too.:)Thanks for sharing the recipe!!Is it okay to share the recipe on my blog as long as I give you the credit??Nikki

Nikki,

I’m so glad your family has enjoyed it! Of course it’s okay to share the recipe :)

• Crysta Parkinson said:

My family TOTALLY loves this. I have it in my bookmarks, and I just made my third batch this week! Thank you! :-)

• Rachel Hughes said:

So I made this today and ran into some problems….I used pecans, raisins and some coconut since that is what I had on hand. mixed up well, looked and smelled great. Well now the problem is: my husband saw me getting my stuff out to make it before he left for work, so when he gets home how will i explain to him where it went??? I CAN NOT STOP EATING IT! YUM YUM YUM!

LOL, Rachel, you had me going there! I’m so glad you love it :)

• Elise meggs said:

how much does this granola recipe make? I have to feed about a dozen people every morning:)
    Elise

Elise, I usually double the recipe, and it makes about a gallon of granola. :)