Home » From Scratch Recipes, What's Cooking

Homemade Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns (A Bread Machine Recipe)

>30 May 2011

In honor of your Memorial Day cookout ( or “BBQ” if you’re not from the South), a homemade hamburger bun recipe!

I make mine with freshly ground hard white wheat, but you can use bread flour as well. The dough is mixed and kneaded in the bread machine, so it’s super easy to make!

Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns

• 1 1/4 c. warm milk
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 2 Tbsp melted butter
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 3 3/4 c. whole wheat flour (I use hard white wheat)
  • 4 tsp vital wheat gluten
  • 1 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
  • *2 Tbsp more melted butter
  • *optional: sesame seeds

Put ingredients in order in your bread pan (except those w/*); set your machine to the dough setting. When complete, dump the dough out onto a floured surface. Cut the dough in half, and roll each piece out into a 1″ thick circle.

Using a drinking glass, cut each half into 6 rounds, re-kneading and re-rolling the dough as needed to make your pieces. Place on greased baking sheet about 2″ apart; brush tops with melted butter. If you want to sprinkle sesame seeds on top, do it now.

Cover and allow to rise about 1 hour, or until doubled. Bake at 350* for approx. 12 min, or until tops are browned. Allow to cool completely before slicing.

Make them. Because they are SO much better than store bought… and because you can.

A big thanks to all of the men and women who so bravely serve our country, and to all who have given their lives for our freedom. We honor you.

Enjoy your Memorial Day.

• kim said:

I have to ask, why do you need the wheat gluten, and where do you get it?

Kim,

The wheat gluten just makes a softer, lighter bread. You can go without, but your buns will be more dense. You can find it in the baking isle of the grocery store :)

• Homemade Alaska said:

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe, it sounds great. I have tried once before to make buns, I make a pretty good bread. I made hockey pucks that no one really wanted to eat. What a great idea doing it in the bread maker. I’ll definitely give it a try. I love the hard white berries!

• Jennifer Smith said:

We have talked about making our own bread. I think I might have to look into starting to do this occasionally. It would be so much healthier.

• Kelly Morris said:

Those are gorgeous! Must find time to make!

• Catelyn Sedgwick said:

You mentioned that you use “freshly ground hard white wheat” to make your bread. Do you grind this yourself? What do you use to prepare it? I love what you can do with a bread machine! I’ll have to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing. :)

Catelyn,

Yes, I grind our wheat. We buy our wheat berries from a local Mormon Cannery (though you can order them online, too). I use a NutriMill to grind the wheat. Check out the review I wrote on my grinder :)

• Mona @ Healthy Homesteading said:

This is almost the exact recipe I use to make rolls. I was thinking about adding vital gluten instead of the 3/4 cup white flour. Glad to know the how much gluten to put in now. This recipe also make a good sliced bread and pizza dough :).

• Mona @ Healthy Homesteading said:

I also use 1/4 cup of honey instead of the sugar.

Mona,

I’ll have to try the honey substitute next time! As I was making these it crossed my mind that this dough was very similar to my roll recipe also, and I wondered how it would work for pizza dough. I was thinking, if I could just find one good all purpose bread recipe for rolls, pizza dough, bread, ect, that would be great!!

• Mona @ Healthy Homesteading said:

Kendara,
    This made a good loaf bread too. I ended up just forming it in an artisan bread style and it came out great. The loaf was huge but still thick. This just might be that all purpose bread recipe you have been looking for. :)

Mona,

That’s great to know!! I’ll have to do some experimenting with it :)

• WhiteCedar said:

Your hamburger buns look beautiful.

My own experience has been less satisfying in that I can never get them to form the right shape after they’ve risen. They tend to look like mini-round loaves of bread,and not a bun that’s waiting for a hamburger. I’m sure that rolling them to 1″ thickness is the key.

This may be a silly question, but what is the diameter of your drinking glass? Around 3″ maybe? Do they expand sideways much when rising?

Thanks very much for your ideas and your efforts

WhiteCedar,

Yes, my glasses are right at 3″ across. I give the buns about 2″ on each side to allow for the dough to expand without them sticking together. You have to try this recipe!! I think you’ll find it very easy :) Definitely make sure the dough is an inch thick before cutting. Let me know if you try them!!

• Jules said:

These are brilliant. I made them yesterday & hubs couldn’t get over that they were 100% whole wheat and tasted so good…my 4 year old was asking for some for breakfast..so needless to say they’ll be added to our recipe collection. Thanks!