Home » From Scratch Recipes, Preserving Food, What's Cooking

How To Can Chicken Broth (Chicken Broth Recipe)

>7 July 2011

chicken broth recipe

With three sick kiddos over the past week, I decided it was time to try my hand at making some homemade chicken noodle soup. But I really wanted to make the broth from scratch for the healthiest option possible.

Having never really made chicken broth from scratch before, I searched around until I found what seemed to be a really good recipe. And boy did I find a winner! I am so pleased with how this stuff turned out!

Prep is super easy. You basically just toss a whole chicken into a pot, dump in a bunch of hardly even cut up veggies, add some spices and let it go! It takes a little planning ahead though ’cause you do have to refrigerate it overnight before you can it. But let me tell you, the flavor is incredible!

I’ll share the recipe for the broth first, and then I’ll tell you how to can it.

Chicken Broth Recipe

• 1 whole uncooked chicken; or 4 lbs uncooked chicken pieces with bones
  • 2 large onions (do not peel skin off), cut into large pieces
  • 2 large unpeeled carrots, washed and cut in half
  • 2 large celery ribs, cut in half
  • 10 peppercorns
  • 1 head of garlic (leave skin on), broken into cloves
  • 2 Tbsp salt

Place all of the ingredients at once into a large stockpot. Add enough cold water to the pot to fill it 3/4 full, covering the chicken. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Skim off any floating fat and stuff. Continue simmering, covered on low for 4-5 hours (or you can cook in a crockpot on low for 9-12 hours). Next, turn the pot off and allow it to cool down before transferring it to the fridge to sit overnight. In the morning, remove any fat from the top, then put it back on the stove to heat through. Using a slotted spoon, remove the chicken and veggies, and strain the liquid through a colander or cheesecloth.

Now that you have your finished broth, you are ready to can it. And truly it couldn’t be easier! (Although, freezing it is an option!) The above recipe made enough for me to set aside 4 cups of broth for my chicken noodle soup, and 5 pints of canned broth for later usage.

To can your broth… (you’ll need a pressure canner)

Pour the strained broth back into the stockpot and bring it to a gentle boil.

Have your hot, sterilized jars and lids ready.

Using a ladle, pour the hot broth into a hot jar.

Fill the jar, leaving 1″ headspace.

Wipe the rim of the jar with a wet rag, then screw on the two piece lids.

Once your jars are full, process them in a pressure canner. Pint jars for 20 min, Quart jars for 25 min. at 10 lbs pressure.

And there you go! Delicious homemade broth all ready and waiting in your pantry for a future meal.

I can’t believe how easy this was to make. Seriously. I’ll definitely be making more of it for my food storage. And FYI, this paired with the homemade chicken noodle was TO. DIE. FOR.

Do you have a favorite chicken broth recipe? Have you ever tried canning it?

• Sharin said:

guess its finally time to buy that pressure canner, I’ve just stored it in the fridge in jars.

• Jean said:

Hummm, I’d chop up veggies but put it in a mesh bag to be cooked in broth and then take out to be served for supper! That’d be extra veggies added…. I wonder how that would go? Oh by the way, I do have few whole chickens (5+ years) deeply buried in freezer needing to be used up somehow- mabe this!?! :-)

Definitely use those chickens for this, Jean! And then use the cooked chicken deboned and shredded up in your favorite recipe. Or you can try the homemade chicken noodle soup I’ll be posting ;)

• Lisa said:

YUMMY!!! I wish I had some right now!

• Rosann said:

This is a great way to use the old birds, spent laying hens and roosters. The chickens with some age on them have the best flavor.
    I had heard that making broth with the chicken feet is very high in glucosamine and good for your joints. I have made it several times now and really think it is good stuff. It makes a very gelatinous broth when it cools. I now save all of my chicken parts, giblets and feet and bag and freeze them to use for broth. Good stuff!

• daisy said:

Great post, Kendra! I make my chicken stock in the crockpot. Just put the carcass and veggies in with some water and spice and let it go on low overnight. So easy!

• Pam said:

So glad to hear you’ve discovered the beauty that is homemade broth! Something else I do to be on the frugal side is to save all of my chicken (or turkey) bones in the freezer to make stock when I have enough. I also save all of the fresh veggie scraps from ends of garlic and onions, carrot and potato peelings, ends of asparagus, etc. in a bag in the freezer. Then I can add that to my bones for stock. Those scraps are still full of nutrients and I’m not wasting anything, as we don’t have a place for a composter at this point.

• Mike said:

We’ve been making canned stocks for years out of chicken, turkey, duck, beef, pork, salmon, rabbit…I can’t even remember them all. I have a 38 liter stockpot specifically for the purpose. There’s a couple of tricks to note that we have learned over the years that may not be obvious to those new to it (all learned by losing too many jars of stock to bacteria). Depending on how much headspace you leave when filling the jars, you have to be careful NOT to allow any particles between the lid and the edge of the jar. It may look like it seals but in reality it does not and you will lose the jar to bacteria. A good trick that we have learned is after the jar is sealed and cooled, coat the top in parrafin wax. It seals it really well and you will also protect the edges of the lid from being accidentally caught on anything. Also, leave fat on the stock. Enough to give you a good quarter-inch (or more) layer on the stock when it cools in the jar. The fat will protect the stock from the air even if your lid fails. Done right, we’ve had canned stock that we used 5 years later that was still good.

Oh, and canned stock is AWESOME. :)

• Melissa said:

I usually add a tablespoon or two of apple cider vinegar to mine while its initially cooking as well because it pulls the calcium out of the bones. When the broth is cool, it will be very gelatinous but works the same way. :)

Pam,

It hadn’t occurred to me to save the tips of onions and garlic, etc. for making stock. Great advice!!

• Shaye @ The Elliott Homestead said:

I love me some homemade chicken stock! We don’t even can it because we go through it as fast as we make it! I just keep it in mason jars in the fridge! I love having it around – it’s a kitchen staple! Done right, it is such a rich source of nutrients! Here’s a tip I’ve learned: when you put your chicken in, cut it into pieces and kinda break the bones a bit. This will help to release the nutrients from the bones and the bone marrow. YUM! I’m actually working on a post right now about how I used to make stock and how I make it now – progress and changes are always happening! :) Hope the kiddos are feeling better!

• Lanie said:

Did your stock gel up?

Lanie,

No, it stayed liquid.

• Mae said:

I agree with Pam. When I first tried my hand at making stock I used whole vegetables. Not any more. To me the whole point of making stock is to use what otherwise would be thrown out. The chicken/turkey carcass and bits and ends of vegetables. Since I am going to strain it I really don’t even worry about peeling the vegetables. Onion skins give the broth a little more color. It taste soooo much better than the canned stuff you buy in the store.

One more tip, if you are pressed for time. Since I found out that you can freeze in canning jars, I pour it into them and freeze it. I would suggest using wide mouth jars. Of course canning is better because you don’t have to worry about having electricity to keep it. But this works great if you don’t have time to can it.

• Jen said:

I love having homemade chicken broth on hand! I’m co-hosting Canning Week on my blog and invite you to come by and link up your recipe! We’re having a recipe contest and canning related giveaways all week. I hope you stop by!
    Jen @ Mess Hall to Bistro

• Naomi said:

To save some time and bump up the healthy value in your stock:

You don’t have to strain the fat. I know this sounds counter-intuitive to all the ‘low fat’ propaganda out there, but the fat you leave in the stock from the chicken is good-for-you fat w/ lots of extra protein and other vitamins and minerals.

Also, not skimming/straining the fat is less messy! Win-win.

At first it may look like your stock will be a mess if you don’t strain, but that’s not the case. It will just dissolve into your stock and really bump up the natural chicken soup flavor as well. I actually had a hard time (despite how long I would boil/simmer) my soup in the beginning – getting it to really have that thick full ‘chicken soup’ flavor that is so good. Then I learned about NOT straining the fat and decided to leave it in. All I can say is YUMMO! This works great and takes less effort to boot.

• Naomi said:

Oh, one more tip: This is something I’ve read and not done yet, just fyi. You can actually save your bones (freeze them) to make even more stock, out of the same chicken. Now that’s economical too. : )

• Missy Steiger said:

I’ve got a bunch of roosters running around destined to visit the canner soon. Too tough for anything else. Maybe I’ll can some stock also. My girls would love to grab a jar to add to noodles for a quick lunch!

• Sandra said:

This is going on my “must try” list! I just started experimenting with canning jams, apple filling, but I would use chicken stock more often! Great post.

• Deborah said:

I have an old pressure cooker I got from craigslist last yr but the seal is not good. Can I use my water bath instead until I get a new seal?
    Thanks
    Deborah

Deborah,

NO. It is definitely NOT safe to use a water bath canner when a recipe specifically requires a pressure canner. :) And be sure that you don’t confuse a pressure COOKER with a pressure CANNER. You cannot can in a pressure cooker. Hope that helps!!

• Heather said:

I preheat my oven to 250, bring my slightly chopped carcass and vegetable ends to a boil on the stove top in a dutch oven (starting with cold water and bringing the lot to a boil gently). When they are at a rolling boil, I put the pot in my oven and leave it overnight. I wake up to a slightly warmer kitchen (we turn our heat down to 55) and a great smell. I run the liquid through a mesh strainer and stick it in the frig. I generally get a great broth with lots of flavor and gelatin.

• Jaci said:

I use a recipe from 100 days of real food to roast a chicken in the crockpot…we have some for dinner and de-bone the rest to save for more meals that week or freeze for later use….afte de-boneing I throw all the chicken parts back into the crockpot add a few carrots onion celery whatever I have on hand and fill up with water turn it pack on low all night…the next day on my lunch break i turn it off and when I get home from work (1-2hours later) its cool enough to pour out of the pot. I frequently put it in big bowls in the fridge to let the fat solidfy and scrape it off the next morning …but not always it depends on the fattiness of the bird….I’ve always frozen my broth in containers and ice cube trays but I like the idea of canning it too…I live in hurricane country so the power going out is a real possibilty! Thanks for Telling me how to can!!

• Ashley said:

May I ask the source of your recipe? It sounds really good and I’m curious to know where it came from :)

Ashley,

The link to the recipe is in the text, but here it is again ;) http://www.food.com/recipe/kittencals-best-chicken-stock-broth-crock-pot-option-118258

• Caroline said:

Here is my post on canning chicken noodle soup from raw chicken. I use skin on thighs as they are the right size to fit in a pint jar and the skin/bones easily fall off later when you want to use it. I make a pot/crockpot of broth to add to the raw thighs before canning to make it double strength so you can add water just like the store bought kind. I don’t add the noodles when I can, as I just can’t imagine them not being too soggy. I read you should heat home canned food well before serving which is plenty of time to cook the thin noodles. If you have laying chickens, a pasta maker is a worthwhile gadget as you can make them for the cost of a pound of flour.

• Janet said:

To me it isn’t worth the electricity or gas to can only 5 pints. Do at least 3 chickens worth of broth at a time or enough to fill the canner and have some left over to freeze or use right away with chicken and dumplings or pot pie using some of the chicken that was just cooked.

• Sharon Robrahn said:

I read that adding 2 Tablespoons of vinegar in the pot while cooking brings the minerals out of the bones to make your stock even more hearty.

I’ve read that, too, Sharon. I actually do add vinegar to my beef bone broth. Might work well with chicken, too.