Home » Home Remedies & Herbs

All Natural Bug Repellant (Straight From The Garden!)

>16 August 2011

I know this is old news to many of you, but I’m just now discovering how amazing this is, so I’m totally sharing!

I was extremely skeptical the first time we tried it out. Especially on my kids. Mosquitoes just can’t seem to get enough of my little Ty man’s sweaty flesh. It would be a miracle if anything other than some major bug spray would keep him bite free.

But guess what, I’ve finally found my solution!

BASIL!!

I’m SO excited about this!! It actually works!!

The first time I tried it, I simply rubbed the fresh leaves all over the kids’ arms and legs before allowing them to play. An hour later, after we went back inside, I inspected them from head to toe. And guess what? No bites!!

I am LOVING not having to spray the kids with who-knows-what anymore! Now when they go outside, they head straight into the garden to rub down with some freshly picked basil leaves before going about their playing.

I just think that’s great. Isn’t God good?!

• Tiffani said:

What? Really? Why haven’t I ever thought of this????

• Cassidy said:

Uhh-I did NOT know this so this is new news to me! Thanks so much!!!

• Amy @ Homestead Revival said:

Seriously!! Wish I had known about this YEARS ago! I have a ton out in the garden right now. I’m going to do this next time I work out there. THANK YOU for sharing this… those critters eat me alive!

• Erin said:

Basil has made SUCH a difference in my garden! I noticed a dramatic drop in pests the more basil I planted….I have it all over the garden now.

• Deanna said:

Brilliant!

Thanks for sharing this, I had forgotten about that!

Deanna

• Carol J. Alexander said:

I’m going to pass this on to my son in Haiti. He’s had malaria three times. I guess that would be the ultimate test.

• Susan said:

I didn’t know this either. I will have to make sure we have a basil plant growing just for this use (we use it a lot to make pesto).

I don’t know if this is your own garden you have pictured….but the plants are flowering and it’s always a good idea to snap the flowering part off so the energy can go back into basil leaf making… :)

Susan,

Yeah, this was my basil plant. I did pluck off all of the flowers after I took the photo :) Thanks!!

• Rhenda said:

Can it be made into a ‘tea’ and sprayed on, maybe?

Rhenda- it’s the oils from the basil which repel insects. I’d think that diluting it would reduce its efficacy?

• Amy said:

Never heard of this…thanks for sharing! I knew there had to be SOMETHING else I could do with all this basil, LOL!

• Britni @ Our Eventual Homestead said:

This is a great tip. I knew basil was a great culinary herb with a lot of medicinal uses but I had no idea this was one of them! Thanks!

• Rachel said:

I had never heard of this either! So definitely worth sharing. Thanks :)

• Sheena said:

Many herbs work as natural insect repelents! For instance oils form mint, garlic and rosemary can be used in the garden to prevent insects from invading your plants. I have herbs planted all over my yard to help keep the bad bugs away!

• Andi said:

Thank you so much for the tip. I didn’t know this but my boys and I are mosquito magnets I have a garden full of Basil I cant wait to try this out this weekend.

• Christina said:

Who knew! Thanks for sharing. I have a ton of basil in my garden…I keep deadheading it so it will flourish. I love basil and grow it every year.

• WebMD said:

Hi-This is a great tip. We liked it so much we included it on our Pinterest board. Great blog! Keep up the awesome work.

• Gayle Wolfenson said:

I NEVER knew ..this is “great” news ! II can’t wait to try it out some evening @ dusk – ‘ don’t like the sprays !