Home » From Scratch Recipes, What's Cooking

Chicken and Dumplings Recipe

>29 November 2011

Made this for dinner last night, and thought you might like the recipe! It might look like a lot of work, but really it doesn’t take that long to prepare. A delicious, hearty, cool weather meal!

Enjoy!

Chicken and Dumplings

• 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
  • 2 ribs of celery, sliced (I had some frozen that I tossed in)
  • 4 carrots, peeled and sliced (I just threw in a can of carrots toward the end of the cooking time, since I didn’t have fresh)
  • 1 med. onion, diced
  • 1 (14 1/2 oz) can chicken broth (I used homemade broth I’d canned up)
  • 2 Tbsp dried parsley
  • 2 tsp chicken bouillon granules (I used chicken base, w/out MSG)
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • water

Dumplings

• 2 cups flour
  • 4 tsp baking powder (I use 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, and 3 tsp cream of tartar as a substitute to avoid the aluminum in baking powder, or you can use THRIVE baking powder which is aluminum free)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 3/4 c. milk
  • 4 Tbsp oil

In a dutch oven, combine the chicken pieces, celery, carrots, onion, broth, parsley, bouillon, salt and pepper, and add enough water to cover.

Bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat, and cover to simmer for about 2 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through.

Remove the chicken pieces; allow them to cool. Then, remove any skin and bones, and shred the chicken up. Return the chicken to the pot.

Add more salt and pepper, to taste. (Jerry thought it needed even more salt.)

Return the soup to a simmer.

In a mixing bowl, combine the dumpling ingredients, and mix well to form a stiff dough. (It’ll be very thick and stiff.)

Drop by Tablespoonfuls into simmering soup. Cover and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes more. Best if served immediately.

• Nikki R said:

Yummy!!We make a similiar chicken and dumpling meal.You made me want some.

• Sassy said:

We love DUMPLINGS! Those look awesome Kendra. If anyone still has turkey left overs, they could use it instead of chicken.

• Beckyintherootcellar said:

My heart melts for chicken and dumplings. Mostly the broth soaked dumplings, but I like the chicken too ;)

• Kristen said:

You’ve inspired me! I’m adding this to the menu plan for next week! I’ll just be making it gluten/dairy free. YUM!

• Wendy said:

I think we’ll have that tonight. Argo makes an aluminum-free baking powder that is not expensive, and I think Bob’s Red Mill does too.

• Shirley said:

Rumford also makes an aluminum-free baking powder it is in a red can. My guys prefer their dumplings rolled out and cut into strips and it is one of their favorite meals.

• ~L~ said:

Too funny! We are on the same wavelength, I blogged this on the 28th, lol!!

• Upcycled said:

Sub out “RABBIT” for yard bird and I am IN THERE!!!!

Thanks!!!!!

Have I told you today how much I love your sweet little blog?

• Pam B said:

Yum! I love to make this in my slow cooker, then for the last 30 minutes I make the dumplings & turn it up to high. I use cornmeal in my dumplings,and my recipe does not use baking powder. Delicious! One of our favorite comfort foods.

• Eileen Smith said:

I am making this tonight, just substituting my home-made “chicken” seitan for the chicken.

• Steph said:

Made this for dinner – wow loved it!! Just perfect!