Home » Frugal Living

Frugal Decorating: My New Computer Desk

>22 May 2012

Can I just brag for a moment? ‘Cause I’m still super excited about this awesome yard sale find we lucked up on a couple of weeks ago!

Okay, check it out.

My new computer desk…

Gorgeous, right?!

Guess how much I paid for it.

You’ll never guess.

Okay, I’ll tell you. Twenty-five smackaroos.

That’s right, $25!! I couldn’t believe my luck!

It was a Friday afternoon, and the family and I just happened to pass a yard sale while we were out. We stopped, curious about some barrels we spotted, not even noticing this gem. But just as I was heading back to the car I happened to spot the desk strapped onto the back of a trailer.

“How much are you asking for the desk?” I said to the man there, purely out of curiosity. No way was I gonna be able to afford it.

But the man shocked me when he answered, “Ya know, it’s getting late in the day, and I really don’t wanna take this thing back home. So I’ll tell you what… how’s twenty-five dollars sound to you?”

Twenty-five bucks? Are you serious!?

“Um. Okay, let me go see what my husband thinks.” I casually replied.

Of course I was trying not to jump up and down as I jogged back to the van to tell Jerry about the deal. He was just as excited as I was, and we made plans to come back with our own trailer to pick it up.

And I didn’t even haggle with him. (Very uncharacteristic of me. Just sayin’.)

What a deal! As soon as we got home I began taking everything out of our office to make room for the new addition while Jerry went back to get it.

What fun!! I love redecorating.

It was a struggle, but I was able to help him carry it (in one piece) up our front steps and into the office. And then I gleefully went about the house gathering things from here and there to decorate it with.

But the very best part of this deal…

This is the desk we replaced with the new one. Jerry had rescued it from the dumpster at work.

I sold it two days later for $25.

So, we broke even. Ha!!

I just love little blessings. Every now and then I feel like the Lord rewards our penny pinching ways.

Have you had a frugal decorating find lately? What is your favorite freebie or super cheap score you’ve happened upon?

Please feel free to check out these additional desk websites:

Computer Desk – umass.edu
Adjusting Desk – sfsu.edu
Standing Desk – columbia.edu
Adjustable Height Desk – beyondtheofficedoor.com
Education Desksi.edu

• Michelle said:

That is an amazing find! Finds like those make all that hard work worth it.

• Michelle said:

Oh and I did score a free baby chest and changing table/ dresser before I even knew I was pregnant again. One of our neighbors’ daughter had outgrown the baby stuff and they were moving and didn’t want to move it. So we were happy to take it off their hands.

I love when God works things out like that ;)

• Mary said:

That is a great find! All your books and baskets fit perfectly, too. Our computer desk was a freebie, too. My husband found it in the dumpster! We needed a rather small desk to fit in our bedroom closet. That’s our computer area now because we needed to make room for the new baby. It fits through the funny little closet door with an inch to spare! I have no doubt that “Give us this day our daily bread” includes cast-off furniture.

Absolutely, Mary!!

• Trish said:

I love a good yard sale find! Last summer I picked up a computer desk with doors that have leaded glass…a beautiful piece of furniture. The man even brought it to my house, since it would never have fit in my car. $45!

• Debbie@ouroldhomestead.blogspot.com said:

Wow, that is amazing! Lucky you! Enjoy it and it looks fabulous with the baskets.

• Lisa said:

I love that you broke even! Very cool! And it’s a gorgeous desk. I love the baskets. :)

• Jennifer said:

OMGosh! You lucky duck!! That is just too cool!

• Jennifer said:

Oh! and my frugal find lately (sorry hit send before finishing my post, heehee!) was a pair of SUPER stylish, AMAZINGLY comfortable pair of NEW suede shoes (I’m not a heels girl, these were very utilitarian, but that’s my style, lol) …that I snapped up from our church’s thrift store. I wasn’t sure what they ‘were’ at the time as I wasn’t familiar with the brand name, but just KNEW they were quality.
    So I paid my $2 for them, took them home, looked them up online and they were a pair of $120 Timberlines! Fit like a glove and I wear then daily <3

• JulieG said:

Beautiful, definitely better than the one you had. I’m also still amazed at your home find and how you fixed it up.

Due to another blogger’s thrift store finds, I’ve found one of the Goodwill stores here has good, quality clothing. Clothing from stores like Talbot’s. Once I have my truck back I’ll be going to yard sales now!

• Laurie B said:

WOW! Kendra, you are such an inspiration. I’ve never been a big garage sale shopper, but I will be now! FYI, my 12 year old daughter, a NASCAR lover, found last week a true NASCAR Jeff Gordon fire jacket, tags still on, at a garage sale for $50. She didn’t have $50, but really wanted it, so I told her to go back and haggle. She offered $40, but her cute little freckled face won the guy over and he countered for $20. Sold! So, garage salers, make sure to get your kids in on haggling for deals too!

Thanks, Debbie! I loved the baskets, too :) They were holding kids toys and random stuff here and there. I was so happy that they fit in the desk. They’re a perfect alternative to having drawers!

Julie,

Anytime I’m looking for clothing for myself, Goodwill is the first place I go!! Love finding name brand, good quality stuff there for just a couple of dollars.

That’s wonderful, Jennifer!! Great find :)

• daisy said:

Isn’t is wonderful when things work out like that? You’ve got great karma going! Enjoy your new office!

• LindaG said:

Yup. Congratulations! How very lucky. :o)

• Sheri said:

Good things come to those who wait! It’s beautiful!

• Michelle H said:

A few years ago I happened upon an estate sale that had vintage christening gowns in it. I got them for 25cents a piece and relisted them on ebay. One sold for over $24!! And many for $6-10. SA WEET!

• Emily said:

I know what you mean about the Lord blessing frugal ways. We live in a tiny apartment now but are moving into a house in a few months. We were talking about how we wanted to arrange things in the house and we both agreed the one piece of furniture we wanted to look for was an entertainment stand that would keep the TV out of the toddler’s way while also storing some favorite books. The very next day I go out behind our building to drop trash and a beautiful entertainment stand is waiting for garbage pickup. My husband and I hauled it into our basement storage and we can’t wait to put it in our new living room!

LOVE IT!!! Isn’t it crazy what people throw away?!

• Ashlee said:

These are the posts that make me jealous and zealous all at the same time. Haha. Glad you scored such a good deal, though. I don’t think I have ever gotten one that good. The thing looks brand new. Way to go! And you are so good at decorating. I need lessons.

• Lauren-Mae Cook said:

That is very pretty, I like the book shelves around it. Isn’t it great when you find a good deal like that and you just want to show it off to everyone? haha :D I have a $300-or so-dollar sink that I bought for $25, though it isn’t installed yet I still show it to house guests. :)

• Bonnie said:

Awesome and wonderful all together! I love to find deals like this and I so love the baskets that you have in your new cabinet.Have a most lovley day!

• Jill said:

I love when this happens! The other day I splurged and bought a coffee from McDonald’s. They sell any size for $1.00. (Still more than I’d pay to brew it at home, I know).

I asked for them to add six creams only. Got to work and BLECK!!! The girl had put sugar in it, too. I couldn’t drink it and was irked that $1.00 was wasted.

Went to the Target store on my lunch hour and happened to glance down in the parking lot. There, on the ground, was $1.00 bill.

God must know how much I need my morning Joe!

Haha, that’s funny how that worked out Jill ;)

• jackie said:

Wow..it’s amazing..good job decorating it. Some people are so lucky ..I can’t seem to find stuff that good at tag sales :(

• Laura said:

You got an amazing deal!! I have one just like it. It was an entertainment center when we bought it new 16 years ago and it was way more than that $25 you paid! More money than we had sense then. It was almost $400 with tax.