Home » From Scratch Recipes, What's Cooking

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

>24 May 2012

Titus and I made these cookies the other night ’cause he was begging to help me bake. I halved the recipe, but was quickly wishing I hadn’t because they were gone in no time!

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (from the NutriMill User’s Manual)

• 2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 c. shortening
  • 1 3/4 c. flour (I used freshly ground hard white wheat, but you could also use soft white wheat, rye, or white flour)
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3 c. quick-cooking rolled oats
  • 1 c. chocolate chips

In a large mixing bowl, cream the first four ingredients together with a hand mixer. If you have one, switch to using a dough hook, then blend in the next three ingredients. Finally, stir in the oats and chocolate chips.

Drop by spoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet, and bake at 350* for 8-10 minutes. (Note: if using a cast iron baking sheet, increase the time to about 12 minutes). They should still look slightly undercooked, but will harden slightly as they cool. If you prefer a crunchy cookie, bake until slightly browned on top.

Makes 5 dozen.

• Michelle said:

YUM!! :) They look delicious!

• JulieG said:

They’re already gone! No you didn’t make enough as I or anyone else here didn’t get one. :) They sure look good!

• April said:

Definitely going to try these. I have started using white wheat instead of regular all purpose flour so these will be great to try!

• Doug@thesimplefarm said:

I’m not that great of a cook but I do know how to make cookies. Here is my recipe: http://www.thesimplefarm.com/2011/03/whole-wheat-cookies.html

• LindaG said:

They do look good. I’m not surprised they are already gone. Bookmarked!

• Doug@thesimplefarm said:

Your cookies do look very similar to the ones I make. I think I’ll make a batch tonight strictly for comparison purposes. ha.

Hahaha, let me know which ones are better ;)

• Laurie B said:

They look wonderful! Can’t wait to try them! One thing we’ve started doing with our cookies is substituting Coconut oil for shortening or butter. You can use less than what’s called for in the recipe (for instance, we’d probably use 3/4 c. coconut oil in this recipe), and b/c of the sweetness of the coconut oil, we usually lessen the amount of sugar added too. Coconut oil is super good for you and works well for those with food intolerances/allergies or those working towards 100% whole food diets. Thanks for another great post, Kendra!

Laurie B,

I’ve been wanting to try coconut oil for a while. Where is a good place to get some for a fair price?

• Cat said:

Hi. This does look like a great recipe. I’m wondering if it would be possible to make these into bars–any idea how?

Cat, they’re pretty soft, so I don’t know how well they’d hold up. But if I were going to try it, I’d press the dough into a cookie sheet, like a giant cookie, and cut it into bars after it’s cooled.

• JulieG said:

Heavenly Homemakers blog has a post about where to buy coconut oil. Don’t know how expensive it is though. I’ve been making changes in my kitchen and haven’t made it to coconut oil yet.

• Laurie B said:

Kendra, we get our coconut oil at Trader Joe’s. Not sure if you have them where you are, but they’re much cheaper than other stores I’ve found. One warning: At our Trader Joe’s, they get a case or two in every day and run completely out every day, so, stock up! They have great prices on lots of other things too, like organic frozen veggies….

Laurie, that’s good to know. I’ve heard rumors of a Trader Joe’s coming here soon. Hopefully they will, I’ve heard lots of good things!