Home » From Scratch Recipes

Blueberry Breakfast Bake

>6 July 2012

This is by far my family’s favorite way to bake with blueberries. It works with fresh or frozen berries, and although I haven’t had a chance to try it yet I think canned would work just as well. We love to enjoy this for breakfast, but it also makes a great midday snack or dessert! The next time you get your hands on some blueberries, try it!

Blueberry Breakfast Bake

• 2 c. flour (I like using freshly ground hard or soft wheat, but white flour works)
  • 1 1/2 c. sugar
  • 2/3 c. softened butter
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 c. milk
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 eggs, separated
  • 2 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Mix the flour, sugar and softened butter together until crumbly. If the butter is somewhat hard still, you can use a pastry blender, or two knives, to cut the butter in.

Set aside 3/4 c. of this mixture for the topping.

To the batter add the baking powder, salt, milk, vanilla, and egg yolks. Use a mixer to blend well.

Beat the egg whites for several minutes until firm (till they hold a peak, or are at least very foamy), then fold this into the batter.

Pour mixture into a 9×13 baking dish. Sprinkle the blueberries over top, then sprinkle the remaining topping over all.

Bake at 350 for 40-50 min, or until firm in center.

• Tina said:

Mhmmmm, delicious! That looks awesome! I have got to try this! I have a bunch of unused fresh blueberries sitting in my fridge at this moment and didn’t know what to to with them. I think my problem is solved!! :)

• April said:

This came at a perfect time since we went picking on the 4th. I’m gonna make this today. :-)

Let me know what you think! :)

• Amanda said:

Looks good but I already used my blueberries for smoothies LOL :(
    Next time i get some I want to try this!

• DFW said:

Wow, that looks so good. Wonder if I could add peaches?

• Melissa said:

That looks great! It’s kind of like blueberry buckle, but it’s probably lighter because of the beaten egg whites.

DFW… maybe? Maybe chopped peaches. Let me know if you try that, lol!!

• Rhen @Yes, they are all mine said:

This looks delicious! We are going to have to try it with our blackberries from this year. :)

• April said:

I made this today and it was excellent. :-)

Oh good, April!! We really love this recipe. My kids are always so excited when they see it on the breakfast table :)