Home » Kitchen Tips

How Many Cups of Fresh Green Beans Equal A Pound?

>3 July 2012

I have come to find that a kitchen scale is one of those things that would come in REALLY handy when canning. Almost every canning recipe I’ve looked at measures in pounds. Like right now I’m up to my eyeballs in green beans, but I have no idea how many pounds I have.

So, I’ll measure in cups.

After doing a little search, I’ve discovered that 3 Cups of fresh green beans trimmed (meaning the tips have been broken off) equals approximately 1 pound.

If any of you just happen to be working with fresh green beans, and you have a kitchen scale, would you mind verifying this for me??

Hopefully that’ll be helpful to somebody :)

• Amanda said:

I never knew that. Good idea! I looked at canning stuff today and thinking when we get to our place to start canning.MMM…..

• Vicki said:

Try canning three bean salad if you like that sort of stuff. Easy recipes on line and a nice salad to eat all winter.

• Nancy said:

Wonderful article. So informative. I’m growing bush greenbeans in pots for first time. I was wondering how many beans to a bush.

• nikki said:

do you have a bathroom scale? try weighing your beans on it if you do.

Nikki,

I do, but I didn’t think it would be very accurate.

• Michele said:

Hi Kendra,
    a pound is a weight measurement. A cup is a volume measurement. These two are not equal at all! Think of it this way- by weight: which is heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of lead?

Neither! They are both the same because it is by weight.

Now do it by volume: which is heavier, a cup of feathers or a cup of lead? Of course, the lead is heavier. Does this make sense?

Cups are generally used to measure fluid ounces. That is, liquids. MOST liquids are 8 fluid ounces per cup.

I hope this is helpful. To be a great cook (as I’m sure you are), you should buy a scale (cheap!) and weigh things instead of using volume measurements. Have a great day!

• akaGaGa said:

Or try my grandmother’s saying: A pint’s a pound, the world around. It’s ballpark, but I used it successfully before I got a scale.

I love that akaGaGa!! :)