Home » The Homestead Life

Random Morning Thoughts

>25 July 2012

Since I don’t really have time to sit down and write a thought out post, I’m just going to spew what’s on my mind. If that’s okay with you.

Over the weekend, we took a last minute trip out of state to visit my sister and her family, and my mom and my half-brother from California, who flew in to stay with my sis for a couple of weeks. I hadn’t seen my mom since I was pregnant with Xia, over three years ago, so she’d never even met Xia and Elias. And I hadn’t seen my thirteen year old brother since he was three.

It was good to see my mom, and to pretty much meet my brother. And it was good that my kids got to meet them. But I was quickly reminded that we live in completely different worlds.

We stayed for a couple of days, then had to come back home to get back to work. It was only about five minutes into our trip, just as we’d hit the dangerously busy highway, when our tire blew out. I was so grateful to have a husband who could fix the problem in no time! But as I sat in the car with the kids, I watched the other cars zooming past and I imagined some texting fool plowing into the back of us. I continuously prayed for our safety. Jerry later told me he was doing the same thing as he changed the tire. It’s scary sitting so close to the fast paced traffic like that.

I was so glad to get back home. My sister lives smack in the middle of the city, only a minute from the hospital. I couldn’t help but think to myself, “Man, I do not want to be here if some major catastrophe happens right now.” It was such a relief to drive down our secluded gravel driveway through the woods, and to hear the crickets chirping and the frogs croaking as we unloaded the sleeping kids from the car and back into their own warm beds.

I’m such a homebody. I hate to be away for very long.

Yesterday was Xia’s third birthday. It’s hard to believe she’s already three. She is so incredibly precious!!! She kept telling us, “It’s my happy birthday!” This weekend we’re having a little birthday party for her. I tried to think of something fun we could do for little money. So, I planned a BYO (bring your own) picnic lunch at the park with all of her little friends and some family, and we’ll play and I’ll have made a cake. I think it’ll be fun. Hopefully the weather will be nice.

Baby Elias is getting some really mean teeth. He’s been running a fever, and has been pretty fussy. Poor baby. I finally gave him some baby Tylenol when the Hylands Teething Tablets had done all they could do. I hate giving Tylenol, but I know the fever he has isn’t fighting an infection and I know he’s in pain, so I’ve given it to him as I’ve felt necessary. It’s helped him eat a little more, and play a little.

We’ve got two milk goats coming in about 2 1/2 weeks. My friend has too many goats in milk, and has asked if we’d be interested in borrowing one for a while. Which is great! We’ll also keep another one of her goats for her for a week while she goes on vacation. We’ve got to get fencing put up, and housing and a milking station in order. We took down our old goat fencing to make a new chicken run.

Jerry has been without work for the past two days. We’re coming into the slow season, where there just isn’t any work for him to do. It’s good for me, ’cause we have a lot that needs to be done around here, but it’s hard financially. We always make do, though. From now until September they don’t expect to have much for Jerry to do.

I need to empty the freezer and can everything possible. I’m having nightmares that the freezer stops working, or that we lose power for an extended period of time, and we lose all of our meat and fruits that are stored in there.

I think something’s wrong with our well water. None of our dishes or clothing is getting clean like they used to. I need to look up whether we need to treat the water or something.

There is a basketful of tomatoes in the kitchen that needs to be processed. Maybe I should freeze them so they don’t go bad before I can get to them.

I stayed up until 1:30am last night (this morning, rather) reading The Hunger Games. My sister insisted that I borrow it. She was sure once I’d read it that I’d be even more motivated to learn more about foraging and stuff. It was a good read… but honestly it wasn’t the least bit motivating. It wasn’t at all about preparedness, like I’d imagined. She wild forages, that’s about it. If you want to read a book that will REALLY get you thinking and encouraged to be prepared, read One Second After. If you haven’t read it, you must.

Well, I’ve gotta get going. We’re hosting a Bible Study (Midrash) this Shabbat (Sabbath), so I need to get on the housework.

Enjoy your day!

• Carole said:

If you should have a power outage, don’t open the freezer, and cover it with blankets to keep the cold in. That helps for a few days depending on the weather outdoors. Another thing is dry ice. It will keep things cold for quite a while. Dry ice is hard to find, tho. You might have in mind where it can be bought before you’re actually desperate. Sometimes the freezer goes out or it gets accidently unplugged. It helps to be aware of these possibilities and not go for a long time without opening the freezer. Perhaps you already know these tips, but they may help some reader who is a newbie with a freezer.

• Pat said:

Have you read “Alas, Babylon”? I really enjoyed it (it’s an old one, I think it was written in the 50′s) and it got me to thinking about the very first things that we might do in case of a total collapse of society. I actually listened to this one on audio-book, and the reader made the book “come alive” for me. It will bring chills to you, I guarantee.

I agree that “One Second After” is a must read to anyone who thinks for a minute about what might happen to them and their immediate family should our electronics/electricity stop working, especially if anyone in your family is dependent on medication at all.

• Leslie Lisa said:

You do really need to study! You need to read that we are not under the law and that you are not a part of Israel’s law program and that there is now NO jew or gentile but ONE in Christ Jesus. The law was nailed to the cross. There is no sabbath we are under today.

Leslie,

I don’t keep my Father’s rules to be his child. (I’m already His child. Christ made that possible.) I follow his commandments because I love him, and because I know they are for my good :)

It isn’t about salvation. So, I wonder why it bothers you that I keep the sabbath? Do you find no value in the 10 Commandments?

• Carrie said:

I will second the dry ice. Go ahead and call around to find out where you can find it within 25 miles of your house! That way, you can get to it easily enough, even a county away and save your food.

• LindaG said:

Glad to hear your trip was safe, except for the tire. We had one blow on our trip, too.
    Blessings to you all. ♥

• Lanna said:

I’m glad you got home safely. Our trips to the big city are getting rarer and rarer slowly but surely, I much, much prefer the slow paced backroads to the freeways for whatever reason.

For the teething baby, do you have any arnica on hand? It might help or at least take the edge off the teething. Arnica is so, so useful, I whip it out for everything… Hubby has a sore back from splitting the truck full of wood? Arnica. 8yo smashes his finger in the fence? Arnica. 6yo gives himself a goose egg or the 2yo burns his hand on my rangetop? Arnica. :D

Another trick I’m still learning about/playing with is thieves oil. I’ve put some on a q-tip and rubbed it along my own teeth/gums when I had some soreness, and within 30-60 seconds I felt fine. It was cool and trippy all at once, plus no numbing agents to do funny things (to little babies). Once I can get my hands on all the oils to make my own, I’m going to have even more fun.

• JulieG said:

I think what Leslie is saying is we are under a new covenant, the new testament and the old testament doesn’t apply today. So the ten commandments don’t apply unless they are repeated in the new testament. Hope that makes sense. Anyway I don’t think it matters if you are doing it out of love and not legalism (sp wrong). It feels so good to be on a blog where God can be talked about and no one screams.

We haven’t been able to go back home and visit with our family in years. And they are so old, it’s usually too hard for them to visit us. The conditions, weather, money have to be just right. But even though my husband’s sister is in her late 60′s, she drives like she trying to win a Nascar race, doing around 90 mps on the interstate! lol

• Margaret R said:

I am a new follower. Just discovered your blog. If you want a book that will encourage you to be more proactive in foraging, read the Restoration series by Terri Blackstock. The first book, Last Light, starts with all electronics and power ceasing. Pretty interesting.

• Caroline said:

Water issue and Laundry.
    Well water is almost always very hard. That is one reason homemade laundry detergent is the one thing I don’t make myself. Thus far it has been cheaper to buy liquid (powder builds up residue in your washer lines) detergent than get a whole house water sofenting system.

• Fluff said:

Do you have a way to check the water level of your well? My friend’s well water was getting dirty last summer. Seems the drought had dropped the water level and their well was almost dry. They did not have to drill deeper, they were just extra careful with their water usage until over time the condition improved. Just something to consider/check.

The word says the Gentiles will provoke the Jews to jealousy. How? This is going on right now as Gentiles study to understand and celebrate the feast days, the Sabbath, search out scripture by going back to the original Hebrew text, etc.

Each of us is only as close to the Lord as we desire to be. I enjoy traditional ways of spending time with God (fellowship in a service or reading the Bible). But how thrilling it is to hear the Lord speak to me directly and give me understanding. For example, He asked me, “When did you believe (a particular situation) was going on? When I told you or when you saw it with your own eyes?” I then searched my heart and answered honestly, “When you told me.” And I heard, “Yes. Without faith it is impossible to please God.” Jesus is the Word, and the Word is alive. Press in to all of the goodness that God has for you.

• Abbigail said:

To Caroline, I use a liquid homemade detergent and I have a septic system. It works well and only costs about 2 $ for 10 gallons.
    1cup borax
    1 cup washing soda
    1 bar fels naptha
    in a saucepan with 4 cups water heat and then grate the bar of soap in the pot once melted pour into an already dissolved mixture of warm water and the borax and washing soda. Do this in a 5 gallon bucket. fill remainder with warm water stir and let sit overnight. It will gel. Then I use a second 5 gallon bucket mix 50% water 50% gel stir well becomes soap. Good for frontload and topload washers. You can add extracts to make it smell good. It has worked well for my family. I am now spending 4 $ a year on laundry soap for my family of 6.

• Cindy B. said:

Hi Kendra!

Glad you made it home in one piece! I know what you mean by being a homebody. I am so glad you and your family were not hurt with the blown tire!

I too have nightmares of losing my freezer. That is why this year I have almost exclusively canned or dehydrated. If the power does go out I have enough propane in our RV to finish canning the meats I do have in there.

I have read “Alas Babylon”, “One Second After” and “The Hunger Games”. I agree that “One Second After” made the biggest impact on me. It is one of the reasons I keep plugging away at getting us more self sufficent. I have “Patriots” on reserve at the library as I have heard it is a good read also. While I know that there is no way we are not going to suffer if something does happen, at least we will be better prepared than most.

I want to thank you for letting us share in your journeys and for teaching us valuable lessons with your wisdom. You and your family is a blessing to us all!

Cindy,

Thank you for your encouragement, and your kind words :) I have Patriots also. It isn’t an easy read like One Second After is. It’s more like an instruction manual for survival in story form. It gets dry and monotonous, but it is packed with very good tips and advice. Whenever you get your hands on it, I suggest you grab a pen and paper to take notes as you read along and glean ideas ;) I still haven’t made it through the whole book, lol.

• Jerrie Harp said:

Kendra I observe the Sabbath also. Isn’t it interesting that God commanded in the 10 commandments to keep the Sabbath Holy? Holy as in special, set apart. We are commanded to rest. It is our gift. If we believe the rest of the commandments then we believe this one also. Yeshua himself said he did not come to abolish the law but to fulfill it. Therefore the Torah is not abolished. It is our instruction booklet. I won’t argue with anyone and this may not be the forum for this comment so I understand if you don’t approve it. I guess me reading this on Friday afternoon just got to me a little. haha Still loving your blog. Making a note about the books. Thanks.