Uses For Pickle Juice (Recipes, Tips & More)
As I finished off the jar tonight, savoring every last morsel, I noticed that there was quite a bit of pickle juice (or “brine”) still left over. In my frugalness, I began wondering what I could do with that deliciously flavorful liquid. I’d hate to just pour it down the drain!
I figured there must be other uses for pickle juice. After a little searching, here is what I have found (source):
- Mix it with your favorite barbecue sauce to intensify the tangy flavor. Add 2 tablespoons per 1 cup of sauce and combine well. Spread over grilled chicken during the last few minutes of cooking on the grill.
- For a delicious potato salad, add 3 tablespoons juice to ¾ cup mayonnaise and mix with 3 pounds of cooked potatoes. For a classic macaroni salad, add 3 tablespoons to ½ cup mayonnaise and mix with 2 cups of cooked macaroni.
- Use as a marinade to soak your favorite veggies in while refrigerating.
- Combine ¼ cup pickle juice with one jar of barbecue sauce and one large bag of little beef sausages in a crock pot. Heat thoroughly and serve in crock pot to keep warm.
- Use to marinate chicken. Add 1 cup juice to ½ cup olive oil, 1 clove minced garlic, and ¼ cup fresh chopped cilantro in a zip-lock bag. Add one pound of chicken, roll it in the liquid and marinate for 1 hour before grilling.
- Put sliced cucumbers, onions, carrots and/or pieces of cauliflower in leftover pickle juice and in a couple of days they will be pickled.
- Slip sliced onions into a jar of sweet-hot bread and butter pickle juice. The “pickled” onions liven up turkey, chicken or ham sandwiches, as well as hamburgers.
- Use leftover pickle juice to spice up deviled eggs, tuna salad and chicken salad.
- Being a strong acid, pickle juice can also be used as a weed killer!
- Drinking 1/4 c. of pickle juice has been found to help relieve muscle cramps. (source)
- Some claim that drinking 1-2 ounces of pickle juice stops the hiccups.
- There are actually recipes out there which call for the use of pickle juice, such as this one for Pickle Soup, and even this one for Pickle Bread!
A simple Google search for ‘uses for pickle juice’ will bring up tons of great ideas. So, the next time you are tempted to dump that juice down the drain, think about all of the ways that you could put it to good use instead!
Do you have any favorite uses for pickle juice?