Home » What's Cooking

Our Sukkot 2012, and Camping Meal Ideas

>9 October 2012

We’re back from a week of camping! I must say I’m glad to be back in my cozy bed, although, if the kids had it their way we’d never leave the tent. They had a blast!

This year we celebrated The Feast of Tabernacles at a campground about 45 min. from home. I felt a little spoiled as our site had a faucet with running water and an electric hookup (which we totally took advantage of!).

There were six or seven other families who we joined, most of whom we’d never met. It was nice meeting new people. We quickly hit it off with another young family there who is very like-minded. There were a few big families there, so the kids has plenty of new playmates to run around with!

Here’s our tent after we finished unloading all of our gear. It’s still very disorganized here, but you get the idea of what it looked like. We were so blessed last year by our friends giving us this humongous tent. And we borrowed the canopy for an extended shelter to eat under.

Jerry brought the toaster oven and a small coffee maker- which was totally cheating the “roughing it experience” but they were welcomed luxuries. He also packed a small (child safe) space heater which we used in the tent a couple of cold nights.

I was wishing we’d had some carts with plastic drawers to put our kitchen stuff and food in. It was hard to find anything in the storage tubs we brought to hold all of our stuff in.

Oh! And we totally broke the cardinal rule of camping the very first day, and we let the kids eat snacks in the tent.

BIG NO-NO.

The next morning, there were ANTS. EVERYWHERE. We had to take everything out of the tent, shake them out, sweep the tent, and spray a lavender cleaner around the floor to get it free from crumbs and ants again. From then on, NOBODY ate in the tent.

We had to come home one night so I could finish up some work. We planned on going back to the campsite when I was done, but a huge thunderstorm rolled in, so we decided to stay home through the rain. It’s a good thing we did, too!

The next morning, when we got to the campsite, we found that our tent had leaked and everything on the floor, including our beds, was wet. Fortunately for us, the sun came out right away and we were able to hang our stuff out to dry. (Always bring a clothesline and clothes pins with you when you camp!)

We brought a trailer-load of cut wood with us, and Jerry (and Ty) manned the fire every day. I used that cooler in the background to wash our dishes in, and let them dry on a towel spread out on the table.

We brought the kids’ bikes for them to ride around on, which was a hit with all of the kids. Titus even learned to ride without training wheels while we were there. I got Jada a couple of books from the library before we’d left, so she spent some of her time reading (and finishing!) My Side of the Mountain, and the sequel, On The Far Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George. Both of which she absolutely devoured.

Jada and I took a nature walk one day, looking for wild edibles. She discovered several clumps of wild onions, which she dug, washed, and cooked with our chili that afternoon. It was so great to see how excited she was to find and use a wild plant for food. We also discovered a few wild persimmons trees with fruit ripe enough to enjoy.

Xia was happy to sit and play in the gravel the whole time. She also wanted to throw rocks in the creek that surrounded our campsite. It was a good sized, semi-fast flowing creek down a steep bank from the grounds, and I was constantly having to make sure she wasn’t heading toward it to throw more rocks in.

And Elias had the best time EVER. He ran. And ran. And RAN around that campsite!! I think I lost ten pounds just chasing after him all day every day for a week! He’s never been outside so much in his life. From sun up to sundown that boy was on the move. We brought a playpen which we used quite a bit, but he wasn’t happy unless he was free to be exploring his world. He absolutely loved it. Mommy, however, was exhausted!

We brought some crafts for the kids to do to help keep them entertained. A definite hit.

Every morning after breakfast the adults gathered to study Scripture. I ended up keeping the children entertained for that hour and a half while the others congregated underneath a huge tent to read and discuss.

Not everyone there believed the same thing, but it was interesting to listen to the discussions.

Every night dinner was provided for us, which was awesome. We all gathered underneath the big main tent where a bunch of tables were set out and we ate our meals together.

Besides a few crash-and-burn bike accidents and tumbling toddlers, all in all we had a great time. It’s fun to practice living (somewhat) off grid, and enjoying nature and good fellowship for a week.

If you’re looking for camping meal ideas, I’ll share a few things we made…

camping meal ideas

For  breakfast we had eggs, and egg burritos cooked over the fire. But I also made these meals in a jar: Canned Pumpkin Bread, Instant Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Oatmeal, and Easy Granola. Oh, and bagels and cream cheese. I planned on making pancake mix ahead of time, but didn’t get it made before we had to go.

On a side-note, I re-used old lids and rings when “canning” the pumpkin bread so I wouldn’t waste good ones on something we’d be opening soon, and it sealed up just fine. It wouldn’t have mattered if it hadn’t sealed since we’d be eating the bread within a week, but it was nice to not have to hurry to eat it since it did seal.

For lunches we had:

• Italian Chicken (in foil packets), avocado and carrot slices, and apples
  • Dutch Oven Roast and Veggies
  • Chili (planned skillet cornbread but forgot about it)
  • Chicken Stew
  • Hamburgers, and corn on the cob (foil packets)
  • Turkey in pita pockets

I felt like I didn’t get to prepare as well as I would have liked to for the trip, but we weren’t lacking anything and Jerry made up for what I forgot to get, so it all worked out nicely.

I’d love to know what your favorite camping meals are, or if you celebrated the Feast of Tabernacles this year!

• Grace Franklin said:

Feast of Tabernacles? Why are you following Jewish traditions? Are you Jewish? That just blows my mind that people won’t follow what Paul says we are to follow today and he teaches against what you are doing. You are a gentile member of the Body of Christ.

• Homeinsteader said:

I do not agree with Grace Franklin, at all. Y’eshua/Jesus Christ DID NOT come to “do away with” “the law” – He came to fulfill it. But NEVER are we told to stop observing the Jewish Feasts and celebrations, which were ordained by Holy G-d. Franklin’s comments are all too common in “the church” today and smack of replacement theology, a creation of man.

I am NOT Jewish (I should be so blessed!), but I AM blessed to be adopted into the Family of G-d through remission of sins through Y’eshua/Jesus Christ, my Lord.

Franklin’s attitude is, in my opinion and based upon my having walked with and studied the Word of G-d for decades, common in “the church” today and is not according to G-d’s Word or His Will. I believe we grieve the Holy Spirit by ignoring these important feasts and celebrations, and I believe the Word is VERY CLEAR – we WILL celebrate them together, in the presence of Our Lord and Savior, in His heavenly abode.

• Mrs. D said:

We love camping. Never have celebrated any Jewish holiday, but sounds like fun. We have gone camping with our church when we lived in Colorado and had a really fun time… though we were really roughing it… no running water, electric or toilet facilities.

I’ve had enough experience camping now so I can cook nearly everything on a campfire not perfectly of course… baking bread, roasting meats or grilling meats, cooking fresh veggies, making pancakes/waffles etc. We use a large roaster, dutch oven and cast iron pans and griddles that have been in the family for a long time. Like my daughter, who has a son of her own says… “everything tastes better cooked outside”.

Our family favorite is still roasted corn. We soak the corn for an hour in frest cold water with the husks on, then throw it right on the fire grate… make sure the fire is good and hot. It only takes a few minutes and the corn is perfect. YUM!

If I could cook without stooping over I’d do it all the time. We are working on installing a fireplace area with the firebox up higher so you don’t have to stoop over to cook. My husband just put in a deck this year and repaired the table so we used that for many outside meals this summer, but during the winter we eat inside. Another reason to love summer.

PS… comment above… I’m not sure what Grace has going on in her head about Paul. We don’t judge one another by traditions… that goes both ways. I don’t judge you for keeping traditions and you don’t judge me for not keeping traditions. I am referring to Colossians 2:16 “Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:” I have no right to judge you for keeping Sukkot, and if I don’t keep Sukkot, I am not judged of God either. There are more important spiritual matters. I think it’s great you are keeping traditions with your little ones. It is important to be connected to your fellowship this way and you are great parents and followers of your faith. I hope you wouldn’t judge others if we are not keeping the Jewish traditions, but if you do, that’s your business.

Mrs. D,

The method of cooking corn over a fire that you shared sounds super easy!! I’ll have to try it like that sometime. Much better than using foil ;)

And I appreciate your humility and gracious attitude toward other believers who may worship differently, though worship the same Father nonetheless :) I know many people have a hard time understanding why we would want to celebrate the feasts (and by the way, YHWH calls them HIS Feasts, not Jewish feasts, which I think is pretty cool), but I’m always saddened when “Christians” are so harsh and judgmental about topics which aren’t even salvation issues, nor are they sin issues.

Anyways, I am grateful that I only have YHWH to answer to, so it rolls off my back ;) I will say, however, that some people might be interested in knowing that Jesus (Yeshua) himself celebrated the Feast of Tabernacles (also called Sukkot, The Feast of Booths, etc)! You can read about it in John 7, starting at vs. 1. If Jesus did it… why wouldn’t I want to also?? And surely if Jesus did it it cannot be wrong, as the previous commenter eluded to ;)

• Suz said:

Wasn’t Jesus Jewish? And that was a time in His ministry before He made anointment wasn’t it.

• Lona Pritchett said:

What wonderful family memories! I know, Kendra, that it was a tiring time for you, but the seeds that you sown into your children will grow in the years to come!! Bravo!! Hope you get some rest this next week!;)

• Amy Alphin said:

Shalom! We were just referred to your site by a woman who instructs in foraging and eating wild foods. I was so excited when I saw a link that referenced the camping out for the feast of Sukkot! My family lives in Mt. Olive, NC (half way between Raleigh and the coast) and always get excited whenever we come across others who are observing Torah’s appointments. Anyways, I didn’t get to read much more on your site yet because I was so excited to see the Sukkot posting, but I look forward to reading more. :)

~~Blessing is Messiah, Yeshua!

• Owen Family said:

Whatever your reason for going, camping is one of the most fun activities you can do as a family! We have a small pop-up camper now, but are considering going back to a tent. We always try to cook an apple cake in a dutch oven when we go – pour 2 cans of apple pie filling into a dutch oven, add a box of yellow cake mix on top of that without mixing (the cheaper the mix the better), melt a stick of butter and pour over the mix, then close it up and bake it on the fire for about 20 minutes. Not good for you but very tasty!

• Missy said:

We also observe the Feasts of the LORD as He calls them, and yes, Jesus did as well. In fact, it was probably when He was born, but that’s another post, right?

We have camped at different times, and stayed at home other times for Sukkot, but we love it and I love to see families enjoy this time together and with God. It is a prophetic act as well as a historical one.

p.s. I am a new subscriber now via RSS.

• Angela said:

I’m glad to hear about your adventures keeping God’s Feast of Tabernacles. Our family (and our church) keeps it and the other annual Holy Days, too.

Just a note for those who wonder: It’s not a Jewish Feast. It was commanded for all of the tribes of Israel and even after Jesus’s death, Paul continued to keep all of the Sabbaths including the Holy Days. He even taught the Gentiles (non-Jews) to keep them. :)

• Little Wife on the Prairie said:

Amen and Amen!! It thrills my heart to see so many keeping the Lord’s appointed times. I know it’s a hard thing to understand for those who have never considered it or had any teaching on it. My prayer is that The Name will continue to reveal the importance of these things to His chruch. We usually camp out at least 1 night for Sukkot. We didn’t this year bit did celebrate under a Sukkah. What a blessed time to be together and praise the name of the One who saved us!

• Robbyn said:

You celebrated Sukkot!! YAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you experience the joy we have as we celebrate the feasts, too! The only guide you need in your journey is the Word. And it always brings JOY :-)

Robbyn

Robbyn,

LOL… isn’t it SO wonderful to meet other believers who are coming to the Torah? I’m so glad to know you’re keeping the feasts as well. It has been such an amazing journey for us in our faith as we’ve come to learn more about our Father than we ever thought possible through His Word. The feasts are such a beautiful foreshadowing of what is to come. I can’t wait to watch it all unfold!