Home » Preserving Food, What's Cooking

How To Can Beef Stew {Canning Recipe}

>24 October 2013

*Updated from the original 2010 article

beef stew canning recipe

Man, I’m really enjoying this canning thing! I especially love that my pantry shelves are slowly being filled with beautiful jars of home canned goodies. Seeing as our freezer is stuffed with a quarter of a long horn steer we bought from a local farmer, I figured I’d free up some space and can all of the packages of meat labeled “beef stew meat”.

Canning beef stew is very easy. It’s the prep that takes forever! Once all of the meat is chopped into bite sized pieces and the veggies are diced, you’re ready to roll.

Here is the recipe I use. It’s from the Ball Blue Book: Guide To Preserving.

Beef Stew For Canning

Yields 14 pints or 7 quarts

• 4-5 pounds beef stew meat, cut into bite size pieces
  • 1 Tbsp oil
  • 3 quarts cubed and peeled potatoes (about 5 large, or 12 small)
  • 2 quarts sliced carrots (about 16 small, or 4 lbs)
  • 3 cups chopped celery (about 5 stalks) (I didn’t have any, so I substituted 2 Tbsp dried celery flakes.)
  • 3 cups chopped onion (about 4 small)
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp salt
  • 1 tsp thyme (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 4 cups tomato sauce

Brown meat in oil. Combine meat, veggies, and seasoning in a very large pot. Cover with tomato sauce, and bring to a boil. Do not cook! Ladle hot stew into hot jars, leaving 1″ headspace. Use the back end of a wooden or plastic utensil to poke around in the jars to remove air bubbles. Cover with a previously simmered lid, and screw on the ring. In a pressure canner, process pints for 1 hour and 15 minutes, quarts for 1 hour and 30 minutes, at 10 pounds of pressure.

That’s it! I was thinking, next time I can this I’m gonna fill some smaller pint jars to send with my husband when he goes to work. They’d make a nice, hearty meal!

You might also try venison instead of beef, if you or someone you know hunts.

Do you have a favorite Beef Stew Canning Recipe?

• Dana said:

I was the same way last year, we were expecting a baby at the end of the year and I figured like with our past children’s births that dh would only be able to spend a few days with us and then he would have to return to work so I canned and I canned and I canned determined to have easy ready to go meals in the pantry to make it easier on me.

I canned beef veg soup and chili for the first time ever, and I also canned dried beans, well just about anything I could get my hands on!!

Suprisingly dh was able to stay at home for 2 weeks with us but the ready to go meals did not to go waste!!

I’m not expecting a baby this year but I will be canning a bunch just the same!!

Great job branching out on your canning!!!

Dana

• Lanna said:

Your last sentence? Yes, yes they do. ;)
    You can also add a few spices or extra veggies here and there, too. To make it more yours. You’re already processing for over an hour for the meat anyway.

• Jeff said:

Kendra,

How thick or thin does the broth come out to be once it’s served? The liquid in the jar looks to a bit thin?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

If it’s too thin for you, you can always add some cornstarch to it when re-heating ;)

• Carissa said:

I love your website! I have been looking for a recipe like this! Thank you so much for sharing! I have a question…does it need to be fully cooked before putting into the jars or does it finish cooking while in the pressure canner?

Carissa- Glad to help! Canning it will finish off the cooking :)

• Melody said:

Thank you for sharing this. I was raised on homecanning and am so thrilled that so many others are taking an active interest again and that there are reliable resources like this one to refer to. I love this website. Please keep up the good work!:-)

• DanR said:

A trick I use for the meat (especially wild meat like venison) is to drop the cubes into the deep fryer for one minute before adding to the veggies for cooking. Seals the juices in the meat completely and results in tasty, easy to chew meat stew.

• Larry said:

Hi Kendra,

I am a prepper or have been for the last year now, storing food and created a large self-sufficient garden but have not canned yet. Just bought canner tonight after seeing a few youtube vidz including yours. All this time I been storing canned food from the grocery stores for when the bad times get here and they are coming, knowing that the grocery store bought foods are either bad for you or do not contain enough vitamins and minerals anymore to do you any good so will be doing canning on everything now using only organic. Anyways just wanted to say great job and thanks for the great info. I read your about you page and I know just how you felt. I too was from so called Paradise (South Beach, Miami) and moved to middle of no where in the backwoods of Georgia. Hated it for the first year but now I would never go back to living in the city so good for you.

• angie said:

How long is the shelf life?

Angie,

I wouldn’t let it go for more than a year.

• Ml said:

Canned foods have an indefinite shelf life, once canned the food is good for many years, like 25 or so.
    Research indicates over time you will have some slight loss of color, texture and only a very small loss of nutrition.

• Robert and judy said:

I like to make a roux for a thick gravy or stew ( made with flour) is it still ok to can after adding the extra ingredient of flour?

• Peri Kersten said:

I do the same thing with venison or elk depending on what my husband gets during hunting season. If he gets one of each, my shelves and freezers are just stuffed full. It looks so wonderful and taste even better on those long rainy days here in Washington. Looking forward to canning peaches and pears in the fall. Has any one canned wild turkey? Would you do it just like chicken? I have always put the turkey in the freezer and wondered why I couldn’t can it just like I do the chickens?

• Dorothy said:

How long to you have to cook the jars if you don’t have a pressure canner only a stove top canner?

Dorothy,

You must use a pressure canner to safely can beef stew. Sorry!!! ;)

• Jaci said:

This may be a dumb question but is this meet fresh when you start the canning g process or can I thaw my frozen meat to can?

Jaci,

There are no dumb questions here :) Yes, you can thaw frozen meat for canning. HTH!

• Tracie said:

Hi, I’m just getting started with canning and the first thing I wanted to can is my home made beef stew. I Always roll my stew in seasoned flour and brown the outside before throwing it in my stew, this gives the meat a great flavor and the stew just the right thickness. I keep reading not to use any thickener when canning but I can’t find anything that says why. Is browning my meat in the flour mixture before and browning before adding to stew going to make it a problem for canning? Thank you for your advise.

Tracie,

Back in the day, our grandmas used to add flour to stew before canning it. But now the FDA or whoever says it’s not safe. They recommend using Clear Jel for a thickener instead, which I guess you could bread your meat with? Honestly, I’m just not sure about breading before canning though.

• Heather Brown said:

Hi, Tracie: I am so glad I found your website. I am totally new to canning. My husband works away from home at a coal mine in northern B.C. Canada, and he has to cook for himself. I haven’t actually canned anything yet but I would like to start. I wanted to make him some homemade soups, stews, etc. and I was going to use a large pot to boil the canned jars in, but I guess that’s not going to work, eh? It sounds like I’m going to have to buy a pressure canner. What all do I need to buy? I bought some small bottles and the snap lids. I need to make 7 supper time meals for my husband while he’s away. I am not sure how big do the bottles need to be to hold a supper? I hope you can help me with all my questions about canning. Thank you so much.

• Heather said:

Just starting to can. I would like to make a double/triple batch every time I make a soup/chili so I have some to can. Do I use the same time and pressure in the pressure canner that you recommend for the beef stew above, for other soups/Chilis or is it individualized based on what I’m canning? If it is, how do I know the correct instructions for each one? Thanks :) Newly canning, mama of 12

Hi Heather!

The processing time and pressure does depend upon what you’re cooking. However, according to the Ball Blue Book of Canning, any soup, stews, or chilis combining meats and veggies all process for the same amount of time, at the same pounds of pressure: 1 hr. 15 min. for pints, 1 hr 30 min. for quarts, at 10 lbs pressure. Have fun!!!

• Mary Kellogg said:

This is my all time favorite thing to can. My husband is retired, 67, and is dangerous in the kitchen.

So I always have quart jars (two meals for him) of beef stew (and chicken stew) ready for him. He just opens and heats. When I fix it, I thicken the juice a bit.

Canning = the ORIGINAL fast food!

What a blessing, Mary!

• Lori said:

Could you possibly post a recipe for chicken stew, as well? Or would the recipe be similar to the beef stew?

• geni said:

a little red wine would make your stew recipe really pop!

Lori,

I’ll be doing Chicken Soup soon, but Chicken Stew sounds delicious!! I’ll try to add that to my upcoming posts :)

• Virginia said:

Hi Kendra,
    Oh, yes! Love the canning projects. Been busy this year with canning just about everything. Most recently did up a beef barley soup (with home-grown barley, no less) and am pleased with the results. Will certainly be doing more. It is nice to have ready-to-eat meals awaiting, and also reserving precious freezer space for other things. Several pints of cubed beef are canned up ready for any recipe calling for that, as well as a lot of ground beef prepared the same way. My little freezer is too full to accept anything else. Found some meats on sale recently and bought a bunch and processed it all. Will continue this anytime I find more meat sales!

• Chloe said:

I love the idea of using smaller jars to send with hubs to work!

• Tammy said:

Hi, I have been canning forever and have made this pretty easy by using either a roaster or crockpot. I simply but a good cut of meat or dear….whatever you fancy then I brown the cut of meat with onions and a little olive oil. Put it in the crockpot with all the vegetables. Cover all with water. I fill to the top. Then add a couple bouillon cubes. Turn your crockpot on high for about 6 to 8 hours. The meat is tender, pulls apart and the brothers is awesome. Make sure you hot pack your jars. Fill half full of meat and vegetables. Then fill about inch from top with broth. Use a pressure cooker to process for 1 hour 30 minutes. Or according to your elevation. If you would like recipe please email me.

• Tammy said:

If you would like chicken stew canning recipe I have one as well as a apple butter, hot cinnamon apple sauce and others. A favorite in our house is is salsa.

• Melissa said:

I don’t have a pressure canner can I use a large preserving pot and if I can how?

• Joan Gosselin said:

How and where to you buy a canning pressure cooker! Would like to start canning and teach my daughter! I have canned bread from the oven but that’s about it. My grandmother canned when I was a child but of course you don’t pay attention too much. She did have a pressure cooker.

Melissa,

Unfortunately, you need a pressure canner to can beef stew.

Share away, Tammy!!

• Melissa said:

I am thinking about buying an all American canner. Can you make meals in it or is it just for canning? Thanks

I have just become a dealer for All American Canners (yay!). I’m still working on getting the store up on my site, but if you’d like to purchase one through me I’ll be happy to help. All Americans are pressure cooker/canners. You can cook in them, and you can can in them :) Shoot me an email if you’re interested in buying one: kendra@newlifeonahomestead.com. Thanks!

Joan,

• Mindy Breen said:

Hello I’m new to canning and was wondering how long is the stew good for? My husband is a truck driver and I really want to can meals for him that he does have to keep in the fridge and that will last up to 2-3 weeks at a time. Thanks for any info you can give

Mindy,

If he can keep them cool, ideally below 70*, the stew will stay good for over a year. Hope that helps! I think it’s a brilliant idea to can meals for him to enjoy on the road!! He’ll think of you every time he opens one :)

• Laurel Nguyen said:

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I’ve bookmarked it, and I plant to make it very soon. I’m new to pressure canning, but I’m loving it!

• ken said:

hi,always heard that it is hard to kill all the bacteria when using corn starch or flour

Ken, you definitely don’t want to get it too thick when canning. Otherwise you’re right, it may not get heated adequately in the center of the jar, and can cause food poisoning.

• Carlos said:

Ok, lets say something goes wrong. How do you tell if your canned stew goes bad?

Carlos,

If you canned according to the directions (correct time/pressure), in a pressure canner, and the lid sealed, it should be fine. *If* (and I’ve never had this happen) you open a jar and it smells “off” or is moldy, toss it. This should not happen if it was processed correctly though. Just make sure the lid is sealed well before you consume the contents. If the lid comes right off without any prying, I wouldn’t eat it. Also, be sure to simmer the beef stew for 10 minutes before eating. (I need to add that to the directions.) Hope that helps!

• Becky said:

The elevation determines what pound of pressure you use. Be sure to check your guide. I can at 15 pounds of pressure :)